• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommend a new TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a new TV

I need a new TV for front room, 32inch - 40inch would do, anyone recommend anything up to around £500-£700. I'm not a big DVD or TV watcher but want something decent / good value for the £. I went into Comet at weekend and really didnt have a clue if the price was good etc

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/tv-an...ce_code=1LU08W

HTH
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Do you have Sky/Virgin or is it just for Freeview? And if so do you already have a separate Freeview box you want to keep using?

These HD-ready Sony's look decent and have built-in support for Freeview HD.

Available for £719 here.

Comment

No it doesn't help ...

30 day trial for just £1.00

Comment

if your going to spend hundreds on a new tv, surely spending £1 extra to get unbiased independent reviews makes sense
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            if your going to spend hundreds on a new tv, surely spending £1 extra to get unbiased independent reviews makes sense
            Normally would agree, but Which? are renowned for their intro offers where you sign up for a quid, sign an agreement to pay £15.95 per month and they hope you forget to cancel it.

There must be loads of independent reviews freely available on the net, such as Amazon.

Comment

Panasonic Viera

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                Panasonic Viera

Milan.
                Ditto. Seriously.
                I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                  I need a new TV for front room, 32inch - 40inch would do, anyone recommend anything up to around £500-£700. I'm not a big DVD or TV watcher but want something decent / good value for the £. I went into Comet at weekend and really didnt have a clue if the price was good etc
                  If you go for 32", you're probably better off getting a "good" 720 (or HD Ready) TV. If you're going for 40" you'll notice the difference if you get a 1080 (Full HD).

Whatever you do, look at the TV in question with both HD and normal broadcasts - some HD TVs looks utter tulipe with a freeview source.

I like the picture on my Sony, a shiny 32" D series bought last year (for features you'll probably not use).

My parents had a colossal Viera which was a bit funny looking, but maybe it was too big for the room.

I can recommend Amazon as a good vendor once you've done some research and decided.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

After some searching for the lad he went for a 32" (1080i) 100 hz lg scarlet. It very good, especially with sports and the XBOX.

It seems to compare better than the full hd 32" Toshiba. The full hd panasonic with 100hz is an impressive but expensive bit of kit.

I think everybody has different needs so you need to see them playing the sort of source you intend to use. Your local currys/comet etc will have a good selection but then they are usually set up crap so it can be less than helpful.

Here are a few sites that might help you get a good deal once you have decided what you want:-

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/
                    http://www.stockchecker.co.uk/

If John Lewis flog what you want they will price match to bricks and mortar (it's a bit of an effort to get them to do it) and bung in a 5 year warranty.

You can get some comparisons here:-

http://www.reevoo.com/browse/product...f%20Screen/LCD

Comment

Working...
                    X