• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anyone recommend Fast Track training companies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend Fast Track training companies?

I've been in IT for 15 years now, an IBM DB2 DBA for 5 years (a while ago), SQL Server DBA for 10 (still keep a hand in), Technical Project Manager for 4 years. Went to Manchester University for 3 years but didn't finish for a number of reasons. More recently I have designed, delivered and supported a few Citrix Presentation Server solutions, I've recently been called back for diagnostics on one of the Citrix environments. I've got experience in Windows Server and desktop OSes, supporting and implementing migrations etc.

Run an IT department and implemented significant change such as Asset databases and config management. Migrated whole company from VB6 to VB.NET as architect.

Designed, managed and delivered an NT4 to Win 2k3 100+ server consolidation and migration using physical and virtual servers.

Stay with me here as I'm going to get to the point...

However, I'm not qualified at all, I have no certificates other than Prince2 practitioner. A-levels are the highest qualification. I'm a bit worried that the lack of formal certification and my baby face are leading to being taken less seriously than I'd like when dealing with certainly my current client but also recruiters etc.

I'm on a first contract at the moment, still at the stage of not really being able to afford much and not able to take a month out. The areas I'd like to be certified (Citrix and BusObj/Cognos, diverse I know but interested and good at both) cost a fortune and take time. I know the subject matter well but perhaps not formally enough to go straight to exams.

Are there any fast track training programs that don't cost the earth other than the ones in Goa? Are there any in the UK?

I'm in Florida for 3 weeks next year (pre-booked holiday so doesn't conflict with previous statement about time off lol) and wondered if anyone knew of anything over there?

Am I worrying for nothing? I'm certainly in demand with this client but don't want to stay here for too long as it's an ex-employer and they're taking liberties due to old friendships.

Sorry for the long post. Hope someone has been the same boat and found an answer.

The Iranians can do you cheap certificates, pick your own course and institution, rock bottom prices, Oxford a speciality

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      The Iranians can do you cheap certificates, pick your own course and institution, rock bottom prices, Oxford a speciality

I'm not after sham qualifications, I know my stuff just want to legitimately pass exams to prove it. I don't need 5 days training per exam as I've learnt most of it on the job but also couldn't walk into an exam as I don't necessarily know best practice or the correct name for each component of a software suite etc.

Not sure I deserved roll eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
        Check his other posts.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I'm not after sham qualifications, I know my stuff just want to legitimately pass exams to prove it. I don't need 5 days training per exam as I've learnt most of it on the job but also couldn't walk into an exam as I don't necessarily know best practice or the correct name for each component of a software suite etc.

you don't deserve a roll eyes. Some contractors dont do qualifications, some swear by them. I would rather earn than spend my time getting them as they would not help me earn more money in any way.

good luck

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I've been in IT for 15 years now...

Went to Manchester University for 3 years but didn't finish for a number of reasons.

I'm on a first contract at the moment

Am I worrying for nothing?
            yes. you have enough it experince not to need certificates. you need more contracting experience. a degree would help for those positions that bin cv's based on missing qualifications but with a decently presented cv you should get past enough of those. getting the second gig is often described as the hardest - i would say that if you can get the next two easily the only reason to get qualificatons would be as part of an ir35 strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              you don't deserve a roll eyes. Some contractors dont do qualifications, some swear by them. I would rather earn than spend my time getting them as they would not help me earn more money in any way.

good luck

Depends on your line of work. I got the ISEB test practitioner and while I think the course is tulip and the curriculum is nowhere near complete, it gets my CV to the top of the pile so it’s paid itself back. I know of a number of customers who consider it important; I’m not going to correct them.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

. I'm a bit worried that the lack of formal certification and my baby face are leading to being taken less seriously than I'd like
                Grow a moustache and take to smoking a pipe. Twirl the moustache and make sucking noises through your teeth when discussing problems. Have a thoughtful and far-away look in your eyes at the same time.

HTH
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Grow a moustache and take to smoking a pipe. Twirl the moustache and make sucking noises through your teeth when discussing problems. Have a thoughtful and far-away look in your eyes at the same time.

HTH
                  Beard, sweaty polyester shirt and brown sandals with woolly socks complete the ‘guru’ look.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Beard, sweaty polyester shirt and brown sandals with woolly socks complete the ‘guru’ look.
                    and fall asleep if nothing happens for a few seconds
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X