• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

whine whinge whinge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whine whinge whinge

Interesting to read the CUK forum at the moment. We have moved from frivolous subjects to serious rants about taxation, government inefficiency etc. I guess when people are being hit deep into their wallets, then the anger gets through.

In a typical British way, though, the anger is restricted to just whinges, moans and vague empty threat of some sort of 'action'. Usually some people end up talking angry citizens off taking any action, telling them "not to be silly", "the government is doing what it can", "it's not their fault", "nothing will be achieved by violent protests, or blockades", and, my favourite, "you and your family will be at risk of police prosecution if you take any part in unlawful demonstrations"

Finally, the government promises to "look into the problem", "is aware of ordinary Britons concerns" and "will set up a commission to produce a report that will suggest possible courses of action".

Great. I don't think the supposedly cheese-eating surrender monkeys across the channel have the patience, or indeed the trust in their government to be satisfied with such a process. They know the only way to make the high civil servants and government ministers listen is through proper action, which usually achieves the target that whatever they want is usually delivered by the government, even if as a way of saving face, the government claims that it was something "they had considered doing all along".

There is an apathy and an unchallenged respect for orderly behaviour in this country which is good most of the time but very unsuited in times of disconnection between government and the people it is supposed to serve. Maybe it is because the British, in their history, and compared to other countries, have traditionally had politicians and a civil service that has been fair and understanding and had its people interests at heart. This discourages them to take drastic action as it is not in their nature and they never have needed to so far. Also the political class in the UK reacts very badly to protests that are outside what it sees as lawful and through "proper channels". Witness Thatcher's government reactions to the violent riots - I think other countries would have been more sympathetic to the plight of the protesters and - for good or bad - would have yielded a bit more and maybe kept the mines going a bit longer (again, it would not necessarily have been a good thing, but that's not the point).

So in summary, I think we can expect lost more whinging and little acts of disobedience here and there but nothing major - and Gordon "Fair" Brown and Tony "Compassion" Blair will carry on ignoring the voice of the street.

But hey, after all, why should they do any different? They have just been re-elected and will not face any challenge to their power until 2010 - by which time, all this will be forgotten and they will have had other opportunities to demonstrate their fairness and compassion for all.

Jez, it's quite good to have nothing to do on a Wednesday morning and be paid to write nonsense on the internet!
    Chico, what time is it?

Sometimes you write some sensible well thought out and well presented points..

Now show us your tits.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

As Milan pointed out it's far simpler and an all round better plan to leave this place to the Chavs, Pikeys and bleeding heart lefties and just go live somewhere else. Which I'm working on.

Comment

Why did the poll tax end in riots yet ever since all we have ever done is maon about our leaders?
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

leaving the country sounds like a good idea, but you need to find somewhere where you won't be remotely bothered by anything going on, i.e. politics and tax will get you in any developed country, and poverty, coups and disasters will get you in the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
            the only way to make the high civil servants and government ministers listen is through proper action
            I truly do not understand why people continue to see civil servants as people capable of doing anything, for good or evil. Sir Humphrey and Bernard are, unfortunately, myths. Civil servants do not make decisions. Civil servants are not intelligent, let alone cunning or devious.
            Junior civil servants fill their days with endless tea breaks and moaning. Senior civil servants fill their days with internal politics – how to get that next promotion and make sure their department continues to grow.
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

it may look like a quitters solution to leave the country,

but the biggest problem for normal hard working people in the UK is that they are so busy trying to earn money to survive that they have little or no time for political activity and

as a result of this over the last fifteen years a vacuum has evolved creating political space for those with time on their hands to get in there and do politics, ie the doleys and incumbents.

this has lead to a misrespresentation of the electorate at the political level and as a result to policies which punish the majority of the electorate who do not have to be politically active,

the creates a self fulfilling circle forcing the hard workers to work harder in an environment which becomes more and more geared against them therefore giving the doleys and incumbents more opportunity to influence politics and make life better for themselves and worse for the majority

and the situation is not going to change, it is a vicious circle.

The solution, appears to be to leave and move to the mainland or somewhere further afield where the regime is more of what you expect and the cost of living will enable you to achieve something good for your pounds having capitalized on the value of your assets while prices were still high

ie, get out before the oil driven impending recession devalues your house down to nothing, if you're not out before the recession you really will be fecked, but this in turn maybe a good thing the time you will have on your hands through having no work will enable you to become politically active and redress the balance of power and there the cycle will begin over again

right, time for lunch

Milan.

Comment

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
                The time is gone
                The song is over
                Thought I'd something more to say

Comment

Originally posted by ahardy66
                  leaving the country sounds like a good idea, but you need to find somewhere where you won't be remotely bothered by anything going on, i.e. politics and tax will get you in any developed country, and poverty, coups and disasters will get you in the rest of the world.
                  There's no Shangri la out there, but there are many countries that are relatively stable and where a better lifestyle can be had due to lower overall cost of living and proud and open culture that respects family life and hard work. Oh and the weather is often better too.

This government is so fecked on so many levels, from it's appetite for pointless regulation and punitive taxation polices, to it's insistence on the destruction of any kind of British identity that I'd be glad of the change in foreign politics.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with you, Wageslave: some civil servants hold a disproportionate amount of power, witness for example the unelected Alastair Campbell, or our man in Brussels Peter Mandelson (I believe he is completely unelected too?)
                    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X