• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future of IT contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of IT contracting

What skillset will best aquip you for the coming years in IT contracting?

.net? websphere? MCSE?

Nope, "the only work in the UK widely available for IT contractors will be rollouts and installs", according to a top recruitment consultant that is. He reckons all the new IT projects will be outsourced to India.

Doomed I tell ya.

Comment

Oracle

Oracle have just bought Siebel
      Recently they also bought PeopleSoft

In 3 years time Larry'll probably launch a hostile takeover bid for SAP (and not before time, if that can consign R/3 to the dustbin)

Everything is turning into Oracle.

It's the skill to have, I tell you!
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

it's obvious - become an outsourcing guru. And learn to speak Cantonese - they're cheaper there than India.

Comment

And learn to speak Cantonese
          Mandarin, dear chap Mandarin.

Like what wo hùi hen hao.

At one of my clients I actually proof read a sale brochure and corrected the (very expensive) Danish to Mandarin translator.

Which earned me a few browny points.

Which was nice.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Threaded, my pronunciation and spelling is not so good....but

Due lay lo mo chow Hai!!!
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

去您油脂说谎的坏蛋

Comment

urdu

learn to speak urdu (pakistan and afghanistan). china and India are too expensive already

Comment

Originally posted by xinetd.d
                  "the only work in the UK widely available for IT contractors will be rollouts and installs", according to a top recruitment consultant that is. He reckons all the new IT projects will be outsourced to India.
                  Then he's an idiot.

The failure rate of projects outsourced is High and some outsourcing from India is actually coming here!

Outsouring works in very narrow areas but those that involve the whole IT function have the highest failure rate.

Growth areas;

.Net
                  Biztalk
                  Sharepoint
                  Document management

looking at Windows Vista I think there will be a much tighter link between the OS and applications that run on it and therefore that will become a growth area. For example allowing the searching for invoices direct from windows explorer.

I'll probably try and get a copy of Windows Vista as soon as possible and start developing stuff for it. That way when it does become more mainstream I'll have done something with it.

Comment

No time for IT training in "pakistan and afghanistan", they're too busy farming the worlds drug supply. Nice muslims aren't they?

Comment

Working...
                    X