• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions for Chef and anyone else who's done an extended Far East trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for Chef and anyone else who's done an extended Far East trip

With the bench looming ever closer (the nice hatchet lady from ClientCo is visiting our office on Thurs having chopped a load of contractors today) I'm thinking instead of getting splinters in my arse it's time to do the travelling thing I never got round to after uni.

So I'm after recommendations for forums/websites where I can find cheap hotels / transport / things to do when I'm there.

Not quite sure where to go but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to do it Bob Shawwadiwadi style with plenty cheapness, but I'm really not up for slumming it in 10 room hostel dorms. All ideas welcomed
    ǝןqqıʍ

Lots of hostels I've been in have private rooms too.

Good resource for research is the lonely planet forums.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

First thing go to Air Asia .com & Asia rooms .com. You will some good deals, should help in working out an itinery.
      Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        First thing go to Air Asia .com & Asia rooms .com. You will some good deals, should help in working out an itinery.
        itinerary

Comment

In planning my trip i did the following much geekiness way of planning (i had loads of time)

-buy large map of the world, mark locations of all places i'd love to see

-with the locations/marks/dots visualised it's fairly easy to see a logical route and work out which ones arent that feasible (i had some places in north america, canada and africa marked but the rest were mainly based around the pacific)

-once you have a very rough idea of route buy the Lonely Planet Shoestring guide most related to where your going i.e SE Asia
          They are a great help in setting approximate budgets for countries and routes within the country. The Rough guides are ok but I found them to be to broad and not enough details on travel but each to their own preference.

-i used Lonely Planet Thorn Tree for most of the research, the folks on their are helpful irrelevant of if your doing much cheapness or a luxury world tour.

-once you've got an idea of countries, route and direction you'd be heading then go speak to a travel agent to work out round the world flight packages for the main stops, i used Trailfinders but STA Travel are also recommended

-finally make sure you check out what jabs/vacinations you might need and book an appointment with your GP, the jabs arent cheap and if your travelling lots of countries you might need a course of jabs before you go

HTH, PM me if you need any more help
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

cheap asia flight companies:

Air Asia
            Jetstar
            Bangkok Airways
            Tiger - singapore based
            Lion Air - indonesia based
            Silk Air - the cheap arm of Singapore Airlines
            Laos Aviation - laos based

Attitude Travel - similar to Skyscanner

Comment

for ideas on where to go and what to do, that's a bit more tricky as it's a personal thing and very much dependant on time and funds..

for some ideas you might want to try looking at Lonely Planet Blue List, i also found BootsNAll a useful sight for ideas

in short, i found the planning is almost as much fun as the doing, once you start writing down ideas and putting them on the map then you'll soon realise you dont have the time or funds to do this in 1 trip

you also have to factor in the fact that travel in these countries is never predictable, buses leave when full not by a timetable and your route will most likely change when you are on the ground as you'll meet people and decide that the 1 week elephant mahoot training, the 2 weeks diving course or the mule trek up a chinese mountain is far better than the 5 day trip you had planned to Hong Kong and you only need 3 days there anyway..

ahh now you've got me thinking about it again.. where did i put that SE Asia guidebook

Comment

I did it the most unorganised way possible...

Went to STA travel to book multi stop ticket of the places i wanted to go....turned up in the country, got in the first cab and asked to take me to where the backpackers go.... wandered around and stayed in the first place that had a decent bar.

Did it cheap and was fun.

Comment

Chef's approach is probably the best one. But the other method and more in tune with being a 'real traveller' is to pack your bags and go the travel agent and buy the cheapest one way to Asia that you can find. Rock up and head for local backpacker ghetto and take it from there. A lot of your time will be spent hanging around talking tulip to other backpackers and that is where you pick up the latest and best info.

When that fit Swedish blonde begs you to go to Bongo Bongo Land with her you don't want to have a pre-booked ticket to Singapore !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Chef's approach is probably the best one. But the other method and more in tune with being a 'real traveller' is to pack your bags and go the travel agent and buy the cheapest one way to Asia that you can find. Rock up and head for local backpacker ghetto and take it from there. A lot of your time will be spent hanging around talking tulip to other backpackers and that is where you pick up the latest and best info.

When that fit Swedish blonde begs you to go to Bongo Bongo Land with her you don't want to have a pre-booked ticket to Singapore !
                    totally agree, i just loving having ideas, it's kind of like looking at the line up at glastonbury, you plan and plan making sure you can fit in all bands possible but in reality you arrive, get wasted on pear cider and wander around.. as long as you know roughly which way your heading then it doesnt matter..

as for flights i flew into beijing and 10.5 months later flew out of singapore, landing and knowing that you have 10.5 months to get across the continent in whatever way you see fit is great (and it only cost £15 to change the dates anyway), any internal flights you can book when you need them

visa's for countries in SE asia can all be sorted on Ko San Road, Bangkok. They take your passport for 3-5 days and it comes back full of entry visa's.. much cheapness, some countries allow you to just turn up and pay the fee ..

Comment

Working...
                    X