• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US motorists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US motorists

http://today.reuters.co.uk/PrinterFr...-CRIME-GAS.XML

BOSTON (Reuters) - A growing number of American automobile owners are so infuriated by rising gasoline prices that they are refusing to pay and speeding off in their cars from gas stations after filling their tanks.

Since Hurricane Katrina disrupted supplies and sent prices soaring, a flurry of what gasoline retailers call "drive offs" have taken place in New Hampshire -- a state whose car licence plates are engraved with the motto: "Live Free or Die".

"I think we're seeing an increase in it because of the increase in gas prices," said Lt. Paul Leger of the police department in the state capital Concord, echoing comments by gas retailers across the state.

"We were just experiencing a wealth of drive-offs," Peterborough Oil Company owner Joe Hart said in the Concord Monitor, a New Hampshire daily.

"It's all shapes and sizes and ages of people who, for some reason, think they're shaking their fist at the oil-producing people, but it actually hurts us quite a bit," he said.

Americans have been stunned by record gasoline prices after devastation from Hurricane Katrina.

Nicki Richard, a Shell station manager, said the number of drive-offs from her business in the New Hampshire state capital had climbed over the summer but spiralled out of control after Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast.

Gasoline prices vaulted to well over $3 (1.63 pounds) a gallon in many parts of the United States after the hurricane shut down most of the region's oil production and refineries. Gasoline had sold for about $2.60 a gallon before the hurricane hit. DP - Says **** me that's NEARLY 40p a litre, poor bastards!

By September 1, Richard's store and other franchises in the area began requiring customers to pay the cashier before pumping, the Concord Monitor reported.

"Drive-offs were continually rising as the price of gas was continually rising, and they just started getting out of control," she said. "This makes it easier on the cashiers. They were writing down every single licence plate."

I'm surprised there not putting sheriffs in the petrol stations with signs saying"u loot we shoot" or "you drive off, we fire off"

SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      http://today.reuters.co.uk/PrinterFr...-CRIME-GAS.XML

BOSTON (Reuters) - A growing number of American automobile owners are so infuriated by rising gasoline prices that they are refusing to pay and speeding off in their cars from gas stations after filling their tanks.

Since Hurricane Katrina disrupted supplies and sent prices soaring, a flurry of what gasoline retailers call "drive offs" have taken place in New Hampshire -- a state whose car licence plates are engraved with the motto: "Live Free or Die".

"I think we're seeing an increase in it because of the increase in gas prices," said Lt. Paul Leger of the police department in the state capital Concord, echoing comments by gas retailers across the state.

"We were just experiencing a wealth of drive-offs," Peterborough Oil Company owner Joe Hart said in the Concord Monitor, a New Hampshire daily.

"It's all shapes and sizes and ages of people who, for some reason, think they're shaking their fist at the oil-producing people, but it actually hurts us quite a bit," he said.

Americans have been stunned by record gasoline prices after devastation from Hurricane Katrina.

Nicki Richard, a Shell station manager, said the number of drive-offs from her business in the New Hampshire state capital had climbed over the summer but spiralled out of control after Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast.

Gasoline prices vaulted to well over $3 (1.63 pounds) a gallon in many parts of the United States after the hurricane shut down most of the region's oil production and refineries. Gasoline had sold for about $2.60 a gallon before the hurricane hit. DP - Says **** me that's NEARLY 40p a litre, poor bastards!

By September 1, Richard's store and other franchises in the area began requiring customers to pay the cashier before pumping, the Concord Monitor reported.

"Drive-offs were continually rising as the price of gas was continually rising, and they just started getting out of control," she said. "This makes it easier on the cashiers. They were writing down every single licence plate."
      Well seeing as though they are responsible for depleating reserves faster than any other nation they should at least be paying an average levy for it. Especially as they mostly drive those bloody tanks which do less than 10 mpg.

Why should we subsidise their usage? which is in effect what we are doing, driving cars which average 30mpg plus and paying 3 times as much.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Agree Bag-o-Puss,

Those fecking septics consume some stupid % of the whole worlds energy and all we get out of it is Britney fecking Spears and MacDonalds.

About time those red necks swapped their 4 ton monster trucks for little micro cars like we have to.

Comment

I drove across many states in the US back in June (so well before oil price rises and Katrina) and I was always required to pay before filling up.
          So it can't be a common occurrence - in New Hampshire maybe (didn't go there).
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

DP, can't be arsed to check your calculations, but did you take into account that US gallon is smaller than UK's?

Comment

I was always required to pay before filling up.
              I don't understand why they don't do that here, the only downside is if you're not quite sure how much you need.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Gas

Considering that when I was there in 2001 it cost $14 to fill the tank its small wonder that they are whinging slightly
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                  I don't understand why they don't do that here, the only downside is if your not quite sure how much you need.
                  I had that problem once in Spain, you just get some money back......you could at least swip a 'CC I guess......
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                    I drove across many states in the US back in June (so well before oil price rises and Katrina) and I was always required to pay before filling up.
                    So it can't be a common occurrence - in New Hampshire maybe (didn't go there).
                    Yeah - the parts of the US I've been to always require payment in advance, so I'm sceptical about this article.

Comment

Working...
                    X