• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COMPLAINT - Contractor UK doesn't seem to care about protecting contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COMPLAINT - Contractor UK doesn't seem to care about protecting contractors

NOW RESOLVED- see last post

Background

I found a job in Switzerland and wasn't aware of IR20 double taxation so having to pay more tax in the UK when I get back was a shock. Whilst it was my own fault for being naive, I wanted to make sure more awareness of this ocured so my fellow contractors would be informed- I had done all the internet reading I could, in particular searching forum and reading the overseas guide.

Situation

I contacted the editor email address of Contractor UK on 30 October 2008 and quoted IR20 2.2 Working aborad, and asked that as this was not mentioned in their overseas tax guides I would appreciate if they could add that clause (pretty small & plain english 8 lines) and a link to the IR20 pdf on the HMRC site.(gave the URL.

Received a reply on the 31st of October saying they had contacted the people who had wrote it and that they had been told that it was 'situation-dependent' and "therefore will compose some quidance regarding specific circumstances as a article".

It was signed 'Editor' which was unusual as companies which hide behind titles for customer service tend to be suspect in my experience.

I found it very strange as its the majority of people who would be affected rather than 'speciifc' so googled the company who wrote the articles and was astonished to see that they were a huge supplier of worldwide overseas staff.

I wrote back same day 31 Oct 2008 advising that:
    - There was there was clear conflict of interest here
    - That I was a accountancy graduate who understood the rules, KPMG and HMRC had both told me I was correct
    - as You have to be away a full tax year (ie not 12 months or calender year) AND work a full year at least, majority of contractors would need to be aware.

I urged them to "act in the interest of the contractor community and speak to a independent UK qualified accountant".

I asked that they let me know their thoughts.

They have failed to reply. I emailed again yesterday asking for an update and no reply.
    Last edited by YHB; 6 November 2008, 17:05.

hold on let me get this straight..

- you did some research and as part of that research you looked at the overseas guide on CUK
    - it turns out that your research was not complete as you have now been caught out by IR20
    - you now believe its CUK's fault for not making you aware of this?
    - you have asked them to update their doc's and there reply was that it is situation dependant and they would compose some guidance for the specific circumstances as an article, a fair comment in my view

you now say that CUK doesnt care about contractors?? how is that so if they have said that this is for specific circumstances only, CUK is not the HMRC support site..

how is it CUK's fault that your research was not complete?
    why didnt you call HMRC and tell them your working arrangements and make sure you had grasped all tax liabilities before starting the contract?

before pointing fingers and spouting blame maybe you should do more in depth research for your own company?

Chef
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      how is it CUK's fault that your research was not complete?
      why didnt you call HMRC and tell them your working arrangements and make sure you had grasped all tax liabilities before starting the contract?

before pointing fingers and spouting blame maybe you should do more in depth research for your own company?

Chef
      My sentiments concur with those expressed by the gentleman above.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        which one ?

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          As, indeed, do mine.

As an aside, I think today should be designated "Post like Mr Cholmondley Walker Day". What say the Congregation?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

hold on let me get this straight..

- you now believe its CUK's fault for not making you aware of this?

Chef

I did not say that- just want it included in there as relevant- see?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              which one ?

The one I was quoting, duh!
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by YHB View Post
                Background

I found a job in Switzerland and wasn't aware of IR20 double taxation so having to pay more tax in the UK when I get back was a shock. Whilst it was my own fault for being naive, I wanted to make sure more awareness of this ocured so my fellow contractors would be informed- I had done all the internet reading I could, in particular searching forum and reading the overseas guide.

Situation

I contacted the editor email address of Contractor UK on 30 October 2008 and quoted IR20 2.2 Working aborad, and asked that as this was not mentioned in their overseas tax guides I would appreciate if they could add that clause (pretty small & plain english 8 lines) and a link to the IR20 pdf on the HMRC site.(gave the URL.

Received a reply on the 31st of October saying they had contacted the people who had wrote it and that they had been told that it was 'situation-dependent' and "therefore will compose some quidance regarding specific circumstances as a article".

It was signed 'Editor' which was unusual as companies which hide behind titles for customer service tend to be suspect in my experience.

I found it very strange as its the majority of people who would be affected rather than 'speciifc' so googled the company who wrote the articles and was astonished to see that they were a huge supplier of worldwide overseas staff.

I wrote back same day 31 Oct 2008 advising that:
                - There was there was clear conflict of interest here
                - That I was a accountancy graduate who understood the rules, KPMG and HMRC had both told me I was correct
                - as You have to be away a full tax year (ie not 12 months or calender year) AND work a full year at least, majority of contractors would need to be aware.

I urged them to "act in the interest of the contractor community and speak to a independent UK qualified accountant".

I asked that they let me know their thoughts.

They have failed to reply. I emailed again yesterday asking for an update and no reply.
                SEE BOLD

Comment

To confirm:

NO I DO NOT BLAME this site, I do think now brought to their attention they should have a duty of care to its members to put this in.

Comment

Originally posted by YHB View Post
                    endless drivel
                    I'm sorry - you're making yourself look a bit silly.

Some people have taken some time to collate a load of contractor-related information into a web portal (aka CUK). The information is provided free of charge. No guarantee is made that the information is complete or comprehensive.

Having bizarrely relied on CUK as your sole point of reference when choosing to work on an overseas contract, you then decide to complain that the information is incomplete or doesn't meet your needs.

Your post sums up one of the sad realities of life in Britain today - people expect things to be handed to them on a plate, and feel the need to throw mindless tantrums when this doesn't happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X