• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewers - Race Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviewers - Race Card

Recently I have had interviews whereby the interviewer had very limited grasp of the English language or the accent was indecipherable so very hard to understand any questions etc especially over a telephone. For two of these interviews the feedback has been that they cannot find anyone in the UK who is suitable - sounds like they only want to recruit someone who they can speak their mother tongue with because they cannot speak proper English themselves. I cannot believe that everyone in the UK is unsuitable.

The last one yesterday for a software house working for the IR.

I get the feeling that there is not a skills crisis as claimed but because some of us don't speak foreign langauges in our own country we are being discriminated against. I am sure it is not racial hatred but it just makes things easier for them - but none the less it does discriminate.

If they were telephone interviews, just call back when you get the rejection letter and ask, "is it because I is black?"

Comment

Under the FOI act (either that or data protection), aren't you entitled to see the interview notes? If you were really ticked off and wanted to make a point for the hell of it, you could always try that route and make them sweat a little.

Comment

why don't they introduce the same restrictions they have in the US, where by a company has to proof that there is no one in the US who is capable of doing a specific job before they approve their Visa to work there??`

Comment

why don't they introduce the same restrictions they have in the US, where by a company has to proof that there is no one in the US who is capable of doing a specific job before they approve their Visa to work there
          I think this already exists but by interviewing several people first and saying everyone is useless seems to be taken as Gospel. No one audits the interview process.

IMO anyone conducting an interview in UK should be able to speak the English language in an understandable manner. If interviews in the UK are no longer understandable by those with the english language then very few people stand a chance.

Comment

Working...
          X