• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb question: what is SAP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question: what is SAP

I looked on wikipedia and there were a couple of meanings which seemed possible in the IT world. Is SAP a piece of software or a methodology or what? And what is it used for - I think something relating to project managing?

I know there is a set of timesheet etc software called SAP but I don't see how you make a job out of that... it would be like saying "My job is MSProject".
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Blow blow The Whistle-oh,
    Fancy where the wind'll blow,
    Take you over valley-oh,
    Johnny get your coaty-oh.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I looked on wikipedia and there were a couple of meanings which seemed possible in the IT world. Is SAP a piece of software or a methodology or what? And what is it used for - I think something relating to project managing?

I know there is a set of timesheet etc software called SAP but I don't see how you make a job out of that... it would be like saying "My job is MSProject".
      You're kidding, right?

http://www.sap.com/index.epx

Comment

In a nutshell SAP is an Enterprise Resource Planning suite, like other ERP's it's modular, configurable, customisable and can be interfaced to almost any application you build an interface to.
        Depending on what modules you buy you can use it to manage just about any part of a business including and not limited to finance, HR, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, stock levels, service orders, payrolls, management information reports, sales, procurement, supplier quotes, price lists, invoices, credit control and loads of other stuff that I can't be bothered to remember.

That's the basics, I'm not a SAP expert, but I've spent a fair bit of time with other ERP's and done bits of SAP stuff.

Comment

I know of it in the supply chain management side of things, and how i wish I "Knew it" it would make the ever closer bench seem further away!
          Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            You're kidding, right?

http://www.sap.com/index.epx
            Why would I be, it's not a particularly funny subject?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No, but it is a pretty lucrative one....
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

forget that sap crud it's only a fad will be gone a in a year or so, get yourself into .Net go for the full MSDN certification and you won't look back

all the best

Milan.

Comment

LOL

Don't bother, it's old news anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Why would I be, it's not a particularly funny subject?
                    As it's probably in the top 5 of largest software companies in the world it would seem strange for someone who works with software not to know what it is. I think that's where the presumption that you were kidding might have come from.

Comment

Working...
                    X