PDA

View Full Version : How much are you willing to pay for a litre of Petrol ?

milanbenes
14th September 2005, 14:29
How much are you willing to pay for a litre of Petrol
before you decide to change your transport habits and
use the bus / bicycle / train etc ?

Me I now go to work on the S-Bahn.

Milan.

The Late, Great JC
14th September 2005, 14:31
How much are you willing to pay for a litre of Petrol
before you decide to change your transport habits and
use the bus / bicycle / train etc ?

Me I now go to work on the S-Bahn.

Milan.

However much it costs. But then again, I'm not a .NET code monkey. Sorry you've fallen on hard times, you'll just have to sell the skoda.

planetit
14th September 2005, 14:35
I quite fancy a trip to the Southampton boat show this weekend or next. Thought I might do my bit for the environment (and Guinness profits) by taking the train.

Cost of train tickets - £110 for the two of us.

Cost of petrol and parking – about £35

So I reckon petrol would have to be around £3 a litre to make it economically viable to use the train.

xinetd.d
14th September 2005, 14:36
I now go to work on the S-Bahn.

Milan.

Is "S-Bahn" a bike?

AtW
14th September 2005, 14:37
Smokes, booze, sugar, salt, fuel for cars are all unelastic products demand for which is pretty much stable until the point when people can't physically buy it -- and the price for this is way over £1 per liter.

This means that all this talk of preferences is pointless -- you will have to pay as much as you get charged for, unless you have alternative means of transport which in many cases is simply not the case.

The Late, Great JC
14th September 2005, 14:37
I quite fancy a trip to the Southampton boat show this weekend or next. Thought I might do my bit for the environment (and Guinness profits) by taking the train.

Cost of train tickets - £110 for the two of us.

Cost of petrol and parking – about £35

So I reckon petrol would have to be around £3 a litre to make it economically viable to use the train.

I'm going down to Southampton at the weekend, particularly to drool all over the Predator 108. If only I had 4.7 million to spare... (Actually if only I had 4.7 million!!!)

xinetd.d
14th September 2005, 14:42
I'm going down to Southampton at the weekend, particularly to drool all over the Predator 108.

What's "predator 108's" real name? Derek? and why "drool" over him?

The Late, Great JC
14th September 2005, 14:43
What's "predator 108's" real name? Derek? and why "drool" over him?

Laugh? Er no, actually I didn't.

The Late, Great JC
14th September 2005, 14:45
Smokes, booze, sugar, salt, fuel for cars are all unelastic products demand for which is pretty much stable until the point when people can't physically buy it -- and the price for this is way over £1 per liter.

This means that all this talk of preferences is pointless -- you will have to pay as much as you get charged for, unless you have alternative means of transport which in many cases is simply not the case.

The thing is AtW, people will continue to buy fuel for their vehicles whatever the price... However, the money for non-essentials will not be there anymore. People will work purely to put fuel in their cars and pay their council tax... Just think what that's going to do for morale!

AtW
14th September 2005, 14:49
The thing is AtW, people will continue to buy fuel for their vehicles whatever the price...

That's what I said, I suppose I should have used more down to earth words rather than saying the obvious from Economics 101 that fuel is a classic example of an "inelastic product" (http://www.bized.ac.uk/cgi-bin/glossarydb/browse.pl?glostopic=0&diagid=207)

milanbenes
14th September 2005, 14:51
"However, the money for non-essentials will not be there anymore.",

leading to a recession, house price crash and collapsing economy

kooool

Milan.

DimPrawn
14th September 2005, 14:52
Houses will always go up in value. It is impossible for them to go down, I saw that on a TV programme once.

The Late, Great JC
14th September 2005, 14:52
That's what I said, I suppose I should have used more down to earth words rather than saying the obvious from Economics 101 that fuel is a classic example of an "inelastic product" (http://www.bized.ac.uk/cgi-bin/glossarydb/browse.pl?glostopic=0&diagid=207)

The point I was trying to make my little retarded commie friend was that people are going to become decidedly pissed off when they can no longer afford their toys.

If you're so fecking clever why haven't you got a real job?

DimPrawn
14th September 2005, 15:05
I'm wlling to pay up to 7 (maybe 8) pence a litre. Until then I'm staying in. Feck em.

AtW
14th September 2005, 15:19
The point I was trying to make my little retarded commie friend was that people are going to become decidedly pissed off when they can no longer afford their toys.

True.

If you're so fecking clever why haven't you got a real job?

Perhaps you would care to reach simply conclusion that because I am so fecking clever I have the kind of job I want?

MarillionFan
14th September 2005, 20:57
Will get priced out when we hit about £150 per litre I reckon.

AtW
14th September 2005, 21:12
What's the mood on the High Street MF?

MarillionFan
14th September 2005, 21:43
Well if you think it's safe for you to leave your flat ATW, think again!

That old scottish bloke who mods the board still wants to give you a kicking and that .Net guy still wants you deported.

AtW
14th September 2005, 21:48
Well if you think it's safe for you to leave your flat ATW, think again!

Oh okay, I will ask my mate to buy canned food for another year. :mad: