• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network Sniffers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Sniffers

Anyone know of any network type sniffing software tools?

I've got a client network that runs Sage Line 50 & Sage Job costing really slowly. 9 users running job costing.

It's not antivirus causing it. (excluded all file extensions & directories on both server and clients)

Both line 50 and Job Costings have a dedicated server with a gigabit NIC. Network runs over a Netgear gigabit switch. PC's are high specs with gigabit NIC's

All ping responses to everything are <1ms

The Server is never under stress (sits at about 98% idle.)

Cheers
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Originally posted by wc2 View Post
    Anyone know of any network type sniffing software tools?

I've got a client network that runs Sage Line 50 & Sage Job costing really slowly. 9 users running job costing.

It's not antivirus causing it. (excluded all file extensions & directories on both server and clients)

Both line 50 and Job Costings have a dedicated server with a gigabit NIC. Network runs over a Netgear gigabit switch. PC's are high specs with gigabit NIC's

All ping responses to everything are <1ms

The Server is never under stress (sits at about 98% idle.)

Cheers
    I've always found Ethereal very good...
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
      I've always found Ethereal very good...
      Which is now called Wireshark.

The problem could be application / server related rather than network related.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Yes, Found Wireshark (Thanks Guys) All seems to be fine on their network, Although No one is using their system today.

So new question is...

How do you speed up/Give more resource to a Job Costing database (MSA - mdb's) - Windows 2000 Server?

Cheers

Comment

Have you seen this yet?
          http://www.sbslimited.co.uk/sageslow.htm

It suggests a large number of potential solutions for sage performance problems..
          Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

I have found one of the most useful tools is the old original Sniffer Pro. It needs to grab info from the lower ISO layers so modern OS will not work. My work-around is to run NT4 on VM on my laptop. Sniffer then works fine and picks up a lot of info.

(An alternative would be put NT4 and Sniffer on a bootable USB stick)
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
              Have you seen this yet?
              http://www.sbslimited.co.uk/sageslow.htm

It suggests a large number of potential solutions for sage performance problems..
              Yes, I've found the very site..

Going to give some of the things a try.

Cheers

Comment

I would say itw more likely to be a database configuration issue or a Windows performance issue. Start up perfmon and monitor thinks like the disk IOPS, the SQL Latches and query responses. Is your SQL database put on the right RAID levels on the SAN?

Can you install the client on the server and run the same tests from that client to negate any affect the network might be having?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                  I would say itw more likely to be a database configuration issue or a Windows performance issue. Start up perfmon and monitor thinks like the disk IOPS, the SQL Latches and query responses. Is your SQL database put on the right RAID levels on the SAN?

Can you install the client on the server and run the same tests from that client to negate any affect the network might be having?
                  The Database for Job Costing is MS Access - I have no idea what flavour Line 50 is. Although I know it's not SQL.

Comment

Working...
                  X