• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is he being ripped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is he being ripped

hi all first time here so first of hello to all...dont know if you can help me but here goes... my son works in the construction industry as a plasterer he has gained his nvq level 2 over 2 years and has worked for the same company for 30 months he is now sub contracting to this company ....he is 19 and a half when he was doing his nvq he was earning £120 a week since gaining his nvq his wages as a subby are £150 a week now.. i dont know anything about subbing other than i'm sure he should be earning a dam site more than this and am a tad concerned as the only record he has of work done is a bank statement confirming wages being paid into his account ..no work sheets ..time sheets.. i am almost thinking he is being ripped off ..i may be wrong and this is the norm !!!!

Well this is a group for the wrong sort of conractor, but IME competent freelance plasterers should be getting upwards of 15 per hour (before deductions).

HTH

tim

Comment

He's definitely getting plastered !!!!

IGMC
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=51307
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I am not qualified to rate it, but http://www.contractortalk.com/ seems to be for contractors in construction. It's probably about real contractors, not sub-contractors (we here call ourselves "contractors" but we're just subbies), but it's probably better than this.

Mods: I don't think you'd need to trash the link, it is only about construction bods so no threat to you.

Comment

Originally posted by smithandrew12 View Post
            hi all first time here so first of hello to all...dont know if you can help me but here goes... my son works in the construction industry as a plasterer he has gained his nvq level 2 over 2 years and has worked for the same company for 30 months he is now sub contracting to this company ....he is 19 and a half when he was doing his nvq he was earning £120 a week since gaining his nvq his wages as a subby are £150 a week now.. i dont know anything about subbing other than i'm sure he should be earning a dam site more than this and am a tad concerned as the only record he has of work done is a bank statement confirming wages being paid into his account ..no work sheets ..time sheets.. i am almost thinking he is being ripped off ..i may be wrong and this is the norm !!!!

my son is 17 , doing similar work for £100 pw, which is below the minimum wage. My advice to him was to bite hard and swallow because
            a) he's picking up good skills that will last a lifetime
            b) the building industry is not healthy at the mo
            c) dont make a move untill you know 100% you have a fallback position

I dont know what the advice would be when he gets to 19 and he has his qualis, but thats what I am telling him right now

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by smithandrew12 View Post

He must know what hours he is working and therefore he must be able to benchmark his pay in the context of the industry. Parents often jump to conclusions, so dont until you have evidence.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                I am not qualified to rate it, but http://www.contractortalk.com/ seems to be for contractors in construction.
                Ooh, they have a yellow hard hat as their logo.

Any suggestions for a CUK logo?

How about a set of bollocks?
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

Or....dare I say it...yeah what the hell....narks!
                    Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Working...
                    X