PDA

View Full Version : Have you served in HM Forces?

AtW
10th November 2008, 18:20
This only counts if you gave oath of allegiance to Her Majesty as part of you servince in HM Forces.

Cliphead
10th November 2008, 18:25
Didn't do military service but did swear an oath to the Queen and worked very closely with the military for a long number of years and in fact on occasions wore military uniform in a semi-official capacity (sort of honorary thing). Does that count?

AtW
10th November 2008, 18:27
Does that count?

No. :tongue

Not in the context of this thread (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/35168-bbc-fatcats.html) with the question being "Btw, would you like to run a straw-poll on the number of ex-military there are on this forum?".

Maybe after this poll we run a more expansive one that will also include your situation, let's hope it won't be necessary :eyes

Cliphead
10th November 2008, 18:28
No. :tongue

Not in the context of this thread (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/35168-bbc-fatcats.html) with the question being "Btw, would you like to run a straw-poll on the number of ex-military there are on this forum?".

Maybe after this poll we run a more expansive one that will also include your situation, let's hope it won't be necessary :eyes

So where's the option served in the military but not in the UK?

AtW
10th November 2008, 18:31

If you serve secretly for foreign Govt but pretend to be civvie then it does not count! MI6 would like to know that though! :eek

Only HM Forces count here - you may have served elsewhere but it would have to be HM Forces.

Cliphead
10th November 2008, 18:34
If you serve secretly for foreign Govt but pretend to be civvie then it does not count! MI6 would like to know that though! :eek

Only HM Forces count here - you may have served elsewhere but it would have to be HM Forces.

Wasn't talking about me, why only HM forces?

AtW
10th November 2008, 18:44
Wasn't talking about me, why only HM forces?

See linked thread.

Those of us that have served in HM Forces have done so!

Btw, would you like to run a straw-poll on the number of ex-military there are on this forum? I think you'd be surprised. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of you talking bollocks.

Hence, poll on who served in HM Forces. :grin

Churchill
10th November 2008, 18:46

Yeah AtW, what about the Aussies, the Kiwis, The Samoans, The Fijians et al, all of whom would have sworn allegiance to HM the Queen.

Are you restricting this poll purely to UK ex-personnel?

AtW
10th November 2008, 18:57
Are you restricting this poll purely to UK ex-personnel?

I am just doing what you challenged me to do!

Your own words above:

"Btw, would you like to run a straw-poll on the number of ex-military* there are on this forum? "

* - just a line above you discussed HM Forces.

I did not limit people to be British Citizens, any Gurkhas on here should feel free to vote ...

It's not a rigged poll either - unlike the one I was pleased to make for Sandy :happy

cailin maith
10th November 2008, 18:59
Didn't do military service but did swear an oath to the Queen and worked very closely with the military for a long number of years and in fact on occasions wore military uniform in a semi-official capacity (sort of honorary thing). Does that count?

Me too - you have to do it to get a passport for this country. Swear allegiance I mean, not fight :o

Churchill
10th November 2008, 19:00
I am just doing what you challenged me to do!

Your own words above:

"Btw, would you like to run a straw-poll on the number of ex-military* there are on this forum? "

* - just a line above you discussed HM Forces.

I did not limit people to be British Citizens, any Gurkhas on here should feel free to vote ...

It's not a rigged poll either - unlike the one I was pleased to make for Sandy :happy

AtW, HM forces are who, exactly?

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:01
Me too - you have to do it to get a passport for this country. Swear allegiance I mean, not fight :o

:eek

Votes from fembots don't qualify!

SupremeSpod - here is one just for you: http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/35171-have-you-given-oath-pledged-allegiance-queen.html

That will test your assertion that majority on here did that (forces or not).

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:03
AtW, HM forces are who, exactly?

So you now have that sinking feeling of losing the challenge, eh? :laugh

That local yachting service you were allegedly serving in I think can count as Her Majesty's forces. A bit of a stretch of course but I am in good mood today. :happy

Churchill
10th November 2008, 19:04

SupremeSpod - here is one just for you: http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/35171-have-you-given-oath-pledged-allegiance-queen.html

That will test your assertion that majority on here did that (forces or not).

I said that maybe you would be surprised at the number of ex-military on this forum.

I did not assert that most people on this forum had pledged allegiance.

However, are you going to include the oath that Cubs, Scouts, Brownies, Church Brigade, Girl Guides etc. make in this country?

Churchill
10th November 2008, 19:05
So you now have that sinking feeling of losing the challenge, eh? :laugh

That local yachting service you were allegedly serving in I think can count as Her Majesty's forces. A bit of a stretch of course but I am in good mood today. :happy

What f**king challenge? That you may be surprised?

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:06
I said that maybe you would be surprised at the number of ex-military on this forum.

Fine, so I am trying to find that out now, grrr, relax old chap, it's not like we had a bet and you will lose your farm on it.

However, are you going to include the oath that Cubs, Scouts, Brownies, Church Brigade, Girl Guides etc. make in this country?

I am prepared to allow that but in another poll thread I created - it covers those cases, this one covers HM Forces just to establish the numbers we have here. It's good to have both.

basshead
10th November 2008, 19:08
I've got some camouflage undies, does that count?

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:08
What f**king challenge? That you may be surprised?

You said: "Btw, would you like to run a straw-poll on the number of ex-military there are on this forum?"

That's a challenge, isn't it? :smile

Or was it just an idea? :smile

My personal estimate would have been that no more than 20% of people on this board served in HM Forces, probably below 10% - those who were civilian contractors in support units don't count unless they properly gave oath etc.

Churchill
10th November 2008, 19:12
You said: "Btw, would you like to run a straw-poll on the number of ex-military there are on this forum?"

That's a challenge, isn't it? :smile

Or was it just an idea? :smile

My personal estimate would have been that no more than 20% of people on this board served in HM Forces, probably below 10% - those who were civilian contractors in support units don't count unless they properly gave oath etc.

It was a suggestion so that you would then see that there are quite a few ex-military personnel who work in IT and who post on this forum.

What do you base your estimates on?

cailin maith
10th November 2008, 19:15

Don't worry Oh Squirrel Lord... I didn't vote :D

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:15
It was a suggestion so that you would then see that there are quite a few ex-military personnel who work in IT and who post on this forum.

Fine, suggestion then it was! Now we shall find out.

What do you base your estimates on?

Rough estimate based on variety of information supplied from the Aquarium.

HTH

:tired

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:17
Don't worry Oh Squirrel Lord... I didn't vote :D

I know. You are me after all. :wink

AlfredJPruffock
10th November 2008, 19:17

I havent altough one of my close friends did get to the rank of Major.
And - my old mate frae Jockland just happens to be the UK Shadow Defence Secretary.

Moi ?

Love is all You Need.

Anytime.

Churchill
10th November 2008, 19:18
Fine, suggestion then it was! Now we shall find out.

Rough estimate based on variety of information supplied from the Aquarium.

HTH

:tired

It helps alright, it helps put you on my f**king Ignore list.

AtW is on your ignore list because trying to have a discusion with him is like pissing into the wind for all the good it will do you.

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:21

AtW is on your ignore list because trying to have a discusion with him is like pissing into the wind for all the good it will do you.

:frown

AlfredJPruffock
10th November 2008, 19:22
Well I find ATw quite an interesting and good chap.

Thats all I wanted to say.

cailin maith
10th November 2008, 19:26

:frown

:rollin: You two!!!

TheFaQQer
10th November 2008, 19:28

There's only about 20 real people on here, so you only need a couple to prove that.

Of course, if Spartacus votes yes, then it gives you a 100% result....

DiscoStu
10th November 2008, 19:31
There's only about 20 real people on here, so you only need a couple to prove that.

Of course, if Spartacus votes yes, then it gives you a 100% result....

I haven't had time to vote yet, I'm busy trying to decide on which mustard for my ham and tomato sandwich.

cailin maith
10th November 2008, 19:32
I haven't had time to vote yet, I'm busy trying to decide on which mustard for my ham and tomato sandwich.

:eek Isn't that Spartacus fave sandwich?

Churchill
10th November 2008, 19:33

Have a poll!

And no, that isn't a bloody challenge!:rollin:

DiscoStu
10th November 2008, 19:35

We are all Spartacus. It's everyone's favourtie sandwich.

AtW
10th November 2008, 19:37

No, it isn't. If you have got favourite food you'd know what mustard to use - the give away was that he did not know which mustard Spartacus uses. :tongue

DiscoStu
10th November 2008, 19:42
Have a poll!

And no, that isn't a bloody challenge!:rollin:

:D

TheFaQQer
10th November 2008, 20:00

To be pedantic (I know, unlike me!) but Spartacus' favourite sandwich is a ham and mustard, with tomato. Not a ham and tomato sandwich with mustard, which is different.

Dubfire
11th November 2008, 07:57
I was is in the RAF for 10 years. Young mans game now though..Everyone should do it at some point If im being honest.