• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need some "rates" advice please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some "rates" advice please!

Hi all,

I'm new to the contracting scene so I'm hoping a few of you can help me out.

Basically, I'm 19... have had about 7 months worth of contracting experience developing in VB6 / VBA (In Access & Excel) and package deployment suites like Installshield etc. At the moment, I feel like I've got a bit of a bad deal. I typically charge £35 a day (haven't really got static rate). Anyway, I did a very small contract for a small company local to me only last week and I have been thinking about my rates and whether I am under-charging. The boss seems to think £35 is fair (of course he'd say that) but there's no real "convention" for someone to figure out how much they're worth on a per hour / day basis when running your own business.

So, I wanted your opinions on what I should charge. Bear in mind my age, experience and skills please!

VBM
    People say I'm lazy... but I like to think I'm just energy efficient...

Some things can influence your daily rate

Is your Mother a one armed Lesbian
    and does your dad inject drugs into his penis?

Comment

£35 pd on a 7.5h day is £4.66ph.....you may as well work in Tescos and get £5++Ph.

I'd have *guessed* at around the £10-£12ph mark - but why not do a search on the job section see what people are paying.
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

What bearing has your age in all this? Apart from the fact that if you're male WS might be interested - he's tired of 13 year olds from Thailand.
        Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

Depends on sector and location. In sticks VB6/VBA in excel/access for longer term contracts can be as low as £12 ph, do same work in city (but I assume financial knowledge is an at least as important part of this) and can be more like £45. You have to be able to get the clints of course but what you are charging seems crazily low. I would think of at least £10ph.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Haha! I'm amazed at how companies take advantage of the whole "age" thing. They think the younger and inexperienced you are, the more reason it gives them to pay you less, regardless of your skills. One reason why I've HAD to charge so little was because I wanted to attract more customers to use moi frequently and I didn't really have a contractors reputation. Had to build myself up kinda thing.

I'm from East Midlands by the way...
            Last edited by VBM2; 15 September 2005, 10:05.
            People say I'm lazy... but I like to think I'm just energy efficient...

Comment

£35 per day - and all the pi55 taken out of you for free. I would say that you should be on a minimum of £100 per day.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                £35 per day - and all the pi55 taken out of you for free. I would say that you should be on a minimum of £100 per day.
                He's 19 FFS!
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Come on guys stop this thread.

Its very easy to find out, go to the Job Search page and put your skills in then search.
                  See what comes back.

Did a quick look.
                  VB6 and VBA skills
                  Min 20 per hour, some 270 a day max 400 in the city.

Do the research FFS
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Are you running the contract through a limited company?

If not, how are you paid?

Have you got Public Liability Insurance?

Are you just a doley who's getting a few quid on the sly?
                    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Working...
                    X