• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is this kind of accommodation called?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this kind of accommodation called?

When I was in the US, I stayed in a cross between a hotel and an apartment. It was basically a collection of bedsits, no restaurant or anything like that, but you booked by the night rather than weekly or monthly.

Is there a special term for this? It seems a good compromise between the cost of renting an apartment and the convenience of a hotel. I don't know if it's a common thing... maybe the place in the US was unusual...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

We have things called serviced apartments over here also apparthotels.

Don't know how they compare
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      When I was in the US, I stayed in a cross between a hotel and an apartment. It was basically a collection of bedsits, no restaurant or anything like that, but you booked by the night rather than weekly or monthly.

Is there a special term for this? It seems a good compromise between the cost of renting an apartment and the convenience of a hotel. I don't know if it's a common thing... maybe the place in the US was unusual...
      Hostel?

Comment

I went into a dodgy hotel in Chicago, similar to the one you describe.
        The guy in reception was behind a wire mesh barrier, he said 'sir, do you know this is a 'four hour' hotel'

Dont give a, just gimme a room, been driving twelve hours.

'but sir, its a four hour hotel'

thinks 'who tf needs a room for just four hours?'

- penny drops

EO beats a hasty

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A friend of mine worked in hotels across the US for a couple of years. She said it was common policy to clean the baths and sinks with the toilet brush. These arent the cheap hotels either.

Comment

Actually i have stayed in a couple of serviced apartments when i was working up in Glasgow and they were great. You had a small kitchenette and separate bathroom and big bedroom with tv etc...
            Much better than a hotel esp as you could cook your own food. I believe most big cities have them, but I don't think they come very cheap.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
              A friend of mine worked in hotels across the US for a couple of years. She said it was common policy to clean the baths and sinks with the toilet brush. These arent the cheap hotels either.
              I also know someone who cleans hotel rooms, in an upmarket hotel. Advice is, always wash cups before use. The cleaners are given about 12 minutes per room, and things like cups are often cleaned in-situ using the same rag used to clean the room.

Comment

Suite

as in "Suite Hotel"

where rooms include a kitchenette

Comment

Service apartments about £65 per night in Manchester. City Centre too.
                  I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

I negotiated one in Edinburgh when I was up there for £35 a night if I paid by the month.

Two bed apartment with kitchen and lounge, free internet, TV, DVD, freeview, all kitted out, views of the Royal Yacht Britannia.... And £10 a night cheaper than a room at the travellodge down the road
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X