• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7671199.stm

KALPESH PATEL, 38, IT CONTRACTOR, LONDON

I am caught in a Catch-22 situation at the moment, which is why I felt motivated to speak out, but I also don't think there is a true reflection of the situation being presented through the news and through government figures.

I work in IT as a contractor and that means I have had to form a limited company. I haven't had any work since April, but I can't sign on because if I do then I will need to dissolve my company. If I dissolve the company then I can't look for work as a consultant or contractor.

There are a lot of people like me who are looking for work, but who are not showing up in the figures because we're holding onto our status in case we do find work. It's difficult to know how to break that circle, but there will be a lot of consultants and contractors in the same situation.

I am looking for permanent roles as well as because I don't think I could go another six months without work. I'm spending my whole time - day and night - looking on the web for work.

It is stressful and it's not helping my Crohns Disease. I don't really go out unless it is to do some shopping, and even then I have had to cut back and be very careful there. Eating a good diet when you have Crohns can be quite expensive.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel, or at least I have to believe that I can.

I suppose for him it's "squeaky bum time" in more ways than one. Poor chap.

Comment

That's actually very sad, especially the Crohn's disease - it's an awful affliction.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
        That's actually very sad, especially the Crohn's disease - it's an awful affliction.
        yeah, bummer

Comment

It's a crap situation, but one of his quotes is somewhat misleading. Even if he winds up the company he can still look for contracts and just work through an umbrella.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7671199.stm

KALPESH PATEL, 38, IT CONTRACTOR, LONDON...

I can see light at the end of the tunnel, or at least I have to believe that I can.
            The proverbial train coming the other way, poor sod.

Comment

Can't he resign as a director and give himself a P45?

I suppose he'd need someone else to be a director instead, perhaps a wife or relative.

Anyway, yes, poor sod. I used to work with someone who had that. They ended up having a chunk of intestine cut out.

Comment

Resign from the company, don't shut it down, look for work and sign on.

IIRC, if you resign though, it takes longer before you are allowed to sign on, though.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

He/she can close the limited and look for contracts and sign on.

If they find a contract, they can get a limited company setup in about 48 hrs.

Bloody whingers!

Comment

what's the point of signing on???

you get pittance, and and treated like tulipe

best to have a rainy day fund
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X