• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT thumped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT thumped

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7726174.stm

Ouch!
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Good for the share price though, up 11%. Sack another 10,000 I say.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      "Telecoms group BT says it expects to have cut 10,000 jobs by the end of the financial year.

The cuts will mainly affect agency and contract staff and offshore workers, the company said."

I'd call that Doomed.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        "Telecoms group BT says it expects to have cut 10,000 jobs by the end of the financial year.

The cuts will mainly affect agency and contract staff and offshore workers, the company said."

I'd call that Doomed.
        They just say these things, and go through the motions, to bump up the share price. Generally after, when the hangover is wearing off, they discover there is no one actually doing any work, so they have to hire them back in again.

And so it goes, and so it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
          They just say these things, and go through the motions, to bump up the share price. Generally after, when the hangover is wearing off, they discover there is no one actually doing any work, so they have to hire them back in again.

And so it goes, and so it goes.
          I'd say this is generally true but at BT I suspect 9,000 of the 10,000 aren't doing any work to start with so they'll only have to rehire 1,000 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            I'd say this is generally true but at BT I suspect 9,000 of the 10,000 aren't doing any work to start with so they'll only have to rehire 1,000 of them.
            Noooooo, they always fire the ones that do the work. That way when the manager has to hire them back in, there is a possibility that there little part of the empire increases.

If the company was serious about cutting numbers they'd be culling the managers, as they're doing it to the workers it's just a smoke and mirrors job for the city.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

I'd call that Doomed.
              Believe me if they get rid of contract staff in this division the permies will be screwed...

Comment

Working for the Global Services at the moment, just found out that my expected 6 month extension is now 3 months, ends just before the end of the financial year, there's a surprise..

Have to agree that if they got rid of the contractors on our team, they'd be screwed as there would be no one left.

Comment

Originally posted by scorchio View Post
                  Working for the Global Services at the moment, just found out that my expected 6 month extension is now 3 months, ends just before the end of the financial year, there's a surprise..

Have to agree that if they got rid of the contractors on our team, they'd be screwed as there would be no one left.
                  Same here!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

BT said the move was aimed at reducing its dependence on consultants and contractors.

That's you lot. It's all your fault.
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X