• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT - the safety net

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT - the safety net

'Darren, a 35-year-old construction worker from Bedford, has worked on building sites for the past 20 years. When one job finished, he would normally walk onto another site and be given new work straight away. However, the credit crunch has hit the construction sector hard, and it is now virtually impossible to find a job as a builder.

After being unemployed for the past eight months, the jobcentre referred Darren to a TNG training centre in Bedford, where he is now in his fifth week of an IT course.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...eers-recession

Milan.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

bonk

(I've just laughed my head off)

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
      ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

bonk

(I've just laughed my head off)
      Thanks for reviving that one!

Comment

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          After being unemployed for the past eight months, the jobcentre referred Darren to a TNG training centre in Bedford, where he is now in his fifth week of an IT course.'
          Milan.
          Darren has been struggling to find work because all he knows is building, but the centre is helping him to develop new skills so that he can move into new sectors. "I'm starting to look at going into another sector until [the building sector] picks back up again," he said.
          Not a sector you'd actually want to stay in, compared to construction, then?

Comment

There is a builder at clientco who hurt his back - and desperate to get back to the construction industry.

But there can't be many builders who would make good coders? Except relative to the offshore ones......

Comment

Didn't you people know that the average salary in IT is 37K?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                There is a builder at clientco who hurt his back - and desperate to get back to the construction industry.

But there can't be many builders who would make good coders? Except relative to the offshore ones......
                Many a potential good coder must have stumbled into other lines of work, instead of stumbling into IT as most of us did.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Many a potential good coder must have stumbled into other lines of work, instead of stumbling into IT as most of us did.
                  Yes, and many of you would probably make a good bar of soap too.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                    Yes, and many of you would probably make a good bar of soap too.
                    Jings !

Good to know we're all useful - I think I would like to be a Carbolic soap.

Comment

Working...
                    X