• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Juggling contract applications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juggling contract applications

I'm actively chasing 3 different contracts with 3 different agencies. I had an interview for one yesterday, and I believe the other two are genuine and will probably want to interview me (agents not asking for spurious references or anything suspicious).
    The one I already interviewed for is probably the one I'd want least... which makes things complicated should they call and offer me it before I at least get an interview set up on the others.
    I figure I could reasonably say "I have an interview tomorrow for another role, I will decide after that", although I'm sure agents won't like it. But I don't know any other stalling techniques and it seems foolish to turn down an offer on the strength of 2 probable interviews.
    I am using the interview I already had to rush the other guys to get things sorted one way or the other, but that's the only plus... has anyone got any tips on tactics/strategy? I can afford not to take any of the 3 contracts if it all goes wrong.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm actively chasing 3 different contracts with 3 different agencies. I had an interview for one yesterday, and I believe the other two are genuine and will probably want to interview me (agents not asking for spurious references or anything suspicious).
    The one I already interviewed for is probably the one I'd want least... which makes things complicated should they call and offer me it before I at least get an interview set up on the others.
    I figure I could reasonably say "I have an interview tomorrow for another role, I will decide after that", although I'm sure agents won't like it. But I don't know any other stalling techniques and it seems foolish to turn down an offer on the strength of 2 probable interviews.
    I am using the interview I already had to rush the other guys to get things sorted one way or the other, but that's the only plus... has anyone got any tips on tactics/strategy? I can afford not to take any of the 3 contracts if it all goes wrong.
    I've been in this situation and my advice is if you have an offer on the table go with it. You must have wanted it initially as you went to the interview. A promise of an interview in which you may not get an offer is nothing. You can easily loose all of them if you ditther around.

My advice make a decision and stick with it. Dont let the agents try to change your mind once you have made a decision (as they did with me and then got arsey when I turned them down).

Comment

Bird in the hand, etc.

Comment

Just tell the first agency that you accept the gig subject to agreement of the terms and conditions. That gives you scope for looking at the others...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
          You must have wanted it initially as you went to the interview.
          They were happy with a phone interview - I don't believe there is a final interview step (although I could be wrong).
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Your legal advisors will need to check out the contract for IR35 clauses won't they? That's bound to take a couple of days.....
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              They were happy with a phone interview - I don't believe there is a final interview step (although I could be wrong).
              So you dont have an offer, my mistake. Well until you do you have no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                Just tell the first agency that you accept the gig subject to agreement of the terms and conditions. That gives you scope for looking at the others...
                Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Your legal advisors will need to check out the contract for IR35 clauses won't they? That's bound to take a couple of days.....
                WTS.

If you get job one, tell them that it's subject to agreeing their terms and conditions, and a return of a signed contract. This will need to include a check by a legal team to review the contract.

Ensuring that you are only accepting subject to a signed contract being agreed gives you plenty of freedom, plus it also means that the agency needs to pull their finger out to get the paperwork sorted for you ASAP, rather than leaving it to the last possible minute and then dropping an IR35 unfriendly contract on you under the usual "we can sort it out next week once you are on site" argument.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I verbally accepted an offer once to the agent while I still had one interview to go as I knew they would put more candidates forward if I dawdled. When I got offered the second one a day later I took that one and phones the agent to apologise to say I wouldn't be taking the first one. They were mighty annoyed, but are helpless. It probably soured my chances with that client in the future, but it works both ways. Agents and other potential clients have said to me in the past that they are "still deciding" on me and can I hold on, while they are blatently interviewing more people.

Always look after number one!
                  Its a dog eat dog world

Comment

Tell the other two you're likely to be unavailable soon unless they get their skates on.

Comment

Working...
                    X