• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quality Of Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality Of Work

Been busy coding away over the last two months, all pleasing with client etc. They commented on productivity and how pleased they were with results. OK working from home, left to my own devices. I was called to see client on Tuesday and then to my amazement he commented on my quality of code, how it's dropped over the last two weeks, but in my viewpoint nothing had changed, in fact I was doing more production then ever. Concentrating on testing, code review etc. They were very harsh. Leave them, down hearted.

Then call from agency yesterday morning saying they received an E-Mail about it and what is my view on the way things were going. Agency approached client, and client then held hands up and admitted they were wooly, did not give me proper spec, sketch and then expected a waterpainting. Two weeks to prove to client though but with a sketch? I e-mailed client, asking for direction and if they had decided about the direction of project and again to my amazement they replied, still trying to work things out, maybe by end of play tomorrow.

Question... In this climate should I walk, but then I have let them down or does the forum think, they are going to can the project and will part company anyway.

Originally posted by Solent View Post
    Question... In this climate should I walk, but then I have let them down or does the forum think, they are going to can the project and will part company anyway.
    No particular comment to make on your exact circumstance, except to say I'm in a similar situation. I've gone a couple of weeks over on an estimated build time, and I feel like I've let them down, even though they only got the spec signed last week, and they keep changing their minds on features. i've tried to build it to what I think they want, but the constant chopping has meant the build has gone on longer than I'd hoped.

I hate the feeling that I wouldn't be able to just walk out into something else, because of the climate.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Yes, Bl**dy annoying, I had to keep my cool as they were quite strong, and all I asked was to give me some direction, what are your expectations? Left on a sour note and then yesterday as mentioned they held their hands up! How could you write code / solution to something they haven't even got straight in their head. We know the code mill, develop, test, more test and deliver and they have the cheek to comment on code. I'm sure we are too long in the teeth and experienced enough (or hope we are) to know good practices, coding standards etc, hence we would not be contracting. OK, I will always learn something but to hear it from a novice in C#/.Net Coding it was a shock

Comment

All sounds very murky. Go in and see the client and ask, with an air of concern, what is really going on.

Comment

I hate the feeling that I wouldn't be able to just walk out into something else, because of the climate.
          That does not bother me, Ok. we have funds, but to walk away, without rising above it, and not letting the agency / client down. I just want to just sit them down and say 'For gods sake - what do you want... what are your deliverables... what is the direction...I can't guess!'

Comment

When I read "call from agency" I assumed next you were going to say they'd used quality of work as a reason to terminate your contract without notice, despite being happy up until now.

Maybe they're lining you up to take the blame.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I am expecting their direction now by the end of play tomorrow. Ok, call me a mug/soft but as a contractor I will work unpaid hours during the weekend and determine if I can work with them. All I can do really, but meeting up again on the 25th, so only time will tell. Ah, well, if all goes t*ts up, two weeks notice from them and a bit in slush fund, so rather relax then get wound up by a client. It's not that hard really I dont think to give a verbal spec if necessary and then I can confirm on E-mail after reading notes

Comment

Agency, we're pretty good, well they have our best interest at heart. If my contract was terminated, I dont think the client would go to them again, embarrasement etc so agency would loose money, umm, the're callous they wouldn't want that

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  When I read "call from agency" I assumed next you were going to say they'd used quality of work as a reason to terminate your contract without notice, despite being happy up until now.

That's exactly what I thought, having been through the same thing before with a reasonably large wannabe consultancy.

I would go and see them face-to-face and see if there is anything that you can do. I wouldn't walk - if they want rid of you, they will do, but in the meantime you could try to repair the situation, if that's what you really want.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X