• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for you economics folks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you economics folks

I was bagging up my change from my old coin tin today (yes, my life is thrilling) and was wondering what would happen if we got rid of the copper coins we have. Don't they just add to the inefficiency of the banking and cash systems in this country? If the lowest denomination was 5p would it be so bad?

I think M&S stopped having £9.99 type prices a long time ago, yeah ok they round up to £10 but isn't that good overall for the economy?

I am concerned about rounding up of prices - might cause inflation.

apart from that - great idea - send it to the bank of england.

personally I save any 1pand 2p - spend them at the tesco self-serve counter.

ohh - you wanted an economic type - not an idiot like me. atw - where are you? presumably he will want to go back to barter or something.....

Comment

I just got sick of counting the 1s and 2s.

It may cause a temporary inflation blip but wouldn't that settle down to increased profits meaning larger investements and more employment? Although I am a complete dullard at this stuff.

Comment

Increased profits should come from increased productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Increased profits should come from increased productivity.

inflated house prices

Comment

Slippery slope. After we've done away with coppers it will be five pence pieces next. Besides, if we suffer deflation we'll have to think about bringing back the ha'penny.

As my old nan said, look after the pennies and the ponds look after themselves. Ours always looked clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
              I was bagging up my change from my old coin tin today
              Fook me badger, get with the 21st century. Banks have paying-in machines for loose change nowadays. Just lob in your pot of change and its counted and appears in your account same day.
              The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

IMO anything less than £50 should be banned. coins are heavy. And < £50 means it does not fold easily.

LOADS OF MONEY!!! YYEEAAAHHH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                  Fook me badger, get with the 21st century. Banks have paying-in machines for loose change nowadays. Just lob in your pot of change and its counted and appears in your account same day.
                  Not at the branch where I bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                    Not at the branch where I bank.
                    But did you try wearing balaklava when visiting it? Works every time for me.

HTH

Pickle2

Comment

Working...
                    X