• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PRINCE2 - again (sorry)...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PRINCE2 - again (sorry)...

Just out of interest has anyone here passed or failed the Practitioner exam? If so what was your experience or reasons (if failed)?...

I'm told it's an open book exam with the PRINCE2 manual, so do they just give you a fictional project and you have to demonstrate the processes and components and use the book as a reference to help you explain this in the exam?

3 hours seems a long time, but I can imagine it's maybe not for getting everything covered and checking it all.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

From what I remember, the questions consist of a variety of briefly outlined scenarios for which you're required to create various Prince2 deliverables such as risk/issue logs, PIDs etc.

The 3 hours passed in a flash. I had sore fingers afterwards from the writing .

Comment

Does it cover the entire PRINCE2 structure, like all 8 processes and all 8 components during the exam? Or do you just apply what is appropriate to the size of the project (and maybe justify why)?

Comment

Have you tried doing some of practice exams you can get?
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Done the foundation practice exams, those seem fairly straight forward and can be answered just by doing a bit study..

It's more the 3 hour written I'm trying to get info on (from those who have actually done it for real).

Thanks for all replies anyway.

Comment

I found it quite easy as exams go. However passing the exam doesn’t make a good practitioner nor does it mean that the qualified person will follow the procedures. The only reason for P2 popularity is because its open source.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

the practitioner exam is now all multiple guess. its also open book but there are a lot of questions in the 3 hours - you need to know the process/book pretty well before you sit it as there isnt time to research the answers as you sit it. passing it doesnt make you a project manager either - it just gives you a tick in the box for certain employers - particularly govie type jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                Just out of interest has anyone here passed or failed the Practitioner exam? If so what was your experience or reasons (if failed)?...

I'm told it's an open book exam with the PRINCE2 manual, so do they just give you a fictional project and you have to demonstrate the processes and components and use the book as a reference to help you explain this in the exam?

3 hours seems a long time, but I can imagine it's maybe not for getting everything covered and checking it all.
                Hi chris.

Passed PRINCE2 last year. The Practitioner exam is pretty much as you described above. It is open book, however it is no longer a written paper but now multi-choice.

Sounds easier but you've still got to know the subject matter backwards. There really isn't time to go through the book!

Good luck

Comment

Hi Flashman,

Thanks for that, yeah I just found on the PRINCE2 website that it has indeed become multiple choice.

It says there are 9 questions in total, I presume this isn't just 9 multiple choice questions to tick? Do the 9 questions have sub questions etc?

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                    Hi Flashman,

Thanks for that, yeah I just found on the PRINCE2 website that it has indeed become multiple choice.

It says there are 9 questions in total, I presume this isn't just 9 multiple choice questions to tick? Do the 9 questions have sub questions etc?
                    it doesn't make it any easier, i passed the practitioner in August. you have 9 questions based on a main "project scenario" but each question will have a sub section with other scenarios which will incorporate any of the aspects in the book. As everyone else says, you need to know the book backwards.

I would advise to get some practice questions and read through them.

Prince 2 is just like learning to drive, you're learning to pass your exam and get that piece of paper. you can then apply the theory any which way you like in the real world.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X