• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

S660 advice...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S660 advice...?

Hi everyone

Recently married and want to take the missus into the business so I can miminise tax by paying her divs.

So, been reading up on S660, which seems to try to legislate against this...

Here's my question: is this different if my missus BUYS the shares from my company?

I believe that my company has 1000 shares. Say I value my business at £100K. If my missus was to pay me 30K for 300 shares, then would she be able to accept dividend payments without incurring S660?

Is that possible? Or am i way out!

Many thanks
    Lou

Originally posted by LouC View Post
    Hi everyone

Recently married and want to take the missus into the business so I can miminise tax by paying her divs.

So, been reading up on S660, which seems to try to legislate against this...

Here's my question: is this different if my missus BUYS the shares from my company?

I believe that my company has 1000 shares. Say I value my business at £100K. If my missus was to pay me 30K for 300 shares, then would she be able to accept dividend payments without incurring S660?

Is that possible? Or am i way out!

Many thanks
    Lou
    Thought you might be back.

Broadly S660 does not in anyway legislate against anything. It tries to define the tax consequences of certain actions. In any event the current state of affairs is that the taxman lost his most recent attempt to apply S660 in a specific way (search arctic systems) and here to start with:- http://www.contractoruk.com/s660/index.html

Now, in fairly typical fashion HMRC didn't really like the answer they got from the judiciary and therefore are proposing a new "family business tax". Basically this is likely to catch what you propose, though it will not happen until at least next april (so make hay). This is trying to tie rewards (or strictly the tax consequence of them) on fee earners in small businesses.

Comment

[QUOTE=ASB;688271]Thought you might be back. QUOTE]

I'm all over 2 posts now. Many thanks ASB. You rock the IT tax legislative forums

Comment

"family business tax"

Sounds so friendly! More new Liebour speak.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
        X