• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early extension........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early extension........

Hi,

I was asked to extend today ,my current contract doesn't end until end of Jan 09.

I think it's - Budget, use it or lose it....

They want me for 12 months - from Feb 09....

I've advised it takes me passed the HMRC 2 year rule and they are increasing my rate to allow for my travelling / B&B expenses.

I'm 'appy....

However.... a sale ain't a sale until the contracts signed and the monies in the bank!

T

Don't forget you lose the right to claim from the moment you sign the contract that will exceed 2 yrs. So from Feb you won't be able to claim anymore.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Don't forget you lose the right to claim from the moment you sign the contract that will exceed 2 yrs. So from Feb you won't be able to claim anymore.
      Surely it's from today, whether he signs or not?

HMRC website says
      This rule says that a place cannot be a temporary workplace if the employee’s attendance is:
      • in the course of a period of continuing work at that place lasting more than 24 months, or
      • if it is at a time when it is reasonable to assume that it will be in the course of such a period.
      So now that the OP is aware that the role will probably run for more than two years, shouldn't they stop claiming expenses now? The very best would be as soon as the new contract is signed.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Surely it's from today, whether he signs or not?

HMRC website says

So now that the OP is aware that the role will probably run for more than two years, shouldn't they stop claiming expenses now? The very best would be as soon as the new contract is signed.
        Nope. It takes effect from when the next contract starts and the period overlaps the 2 year rule not sometime in the current contract.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Nope. It takes effect from when the next contract starts and the period overlaps the 2 year rule not sometime in the current contract.
          OK - it's the best case scenario I laid out above, then.

Although, if it were me, I'd start preparing a defence that I never knew anything at this stage, just in case there's an audit and we're wrong

For clarity, here's the full quote from HMRC Tax Bulletin Issue 74:

The 24 month rule
          This rule says that a place cannot be a temporary workplace if the employee’s attendance is:
          • in the course of a period of continuing work at that place lasting more than 24 months, or
          • if it is at a time when it is reasonable to assume that it will be in the course of such a period.

The "reasonable to assume" test means that the parties need to take account of changing circumstances. If an employee is sent to work at a place to perform a task which is expected to take 20 months (and which is therefore of limited duration), and which does in fact take 20 months, it will be a temporary workplace throughout. However if there are delays which mean that the task will in fact take more than 24 months the place will cease to be a temporary workplace from the point when it becomes known that the 24 month limit is going to be exceeded. That could well happen even before the original 20 months point is reached.
          Conversely, if a task is expected to last for 30 months that workplace will be a permanent workplace from the start. If it should turn out that the task will in fact take less than 24 months the place will become a temporary workplace only from the point when the change of duration becomes known.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Hmmm....

Good points - I will have to have some creative discussions with the client.

I guess they could cancel the current contract and start a new one for 11 months - making it just under two years.

Thanks for your input.

T

Comment

Surely you don't know with certainty that the contract is going to be extended past the deadline until you have the signed contract in your hands?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                Hmmm....

Good points - I will have to have some creative discussions with the client.

I guess they could cancel the current contract and start a new one for 11 months - making it just under two years.

Thanks for your input.

T
                If they'll do it, then that's what I'd do

Someone here (can't remember who though) pointed out that if you stop claiming the expenses because you would go over the two years, and then the gig gets cancelled before two years is up, then you can't go back and claim for that time when you didn't.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                X