• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC Watchdog

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Watchdog

Consumer champions or showcase of the stupid and gullible?

“I bought a cheap Chinese motor scooter for £500 and it was rubbish”… surprised?

“I pay more for me lecy on a prepayment meter” …yes, you wouldn’t pay the bill if we done it any other way.

“I bought a timeshare and they ripped me off”….. [yawn] oh really, you don't say.

”My trainers that were made in a 3rd world sweatshop for 50p but sold to me for £40 stink"… bovered.
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 17 November 2008, 22:52.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Gingergedi for PM! I agree 100% Speaking as a sad anorak, I'd regard it as a major bonus if the scooter turned up requiring major assembly with dodgy instructions - some people have no sense of adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      “I pay more for me lecy on a prepayment meter” …yes, you wouldn’t pay the bill if we done it any other way.
      Oh come on!

Pre-payment is fine, just charge the SAME price as everyone else gets charged.

Well, I suppose you're alright Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Oh come on!

Pre-payment is fine, just charge the SAME price as everyone else gets charged.

Well, I suppose you're alright Jack.
        I am now but when I was 21 years old I couldn't afford the electric bill after the first winter in my very own flat so the electric co put a prepayment meter in and set it up so I could prepay and pay off the bill at the same time, it was bloody expensive but I learnt a lesson!

The infrastructure costs more than traditional billing and someone has to pay, they’re also favoured by landlords who don’t want to be left with hefty bills when their tenants do a bunk or decide to squat.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Can you buy anything that is not made in China now? I dread it when I open anything up - even "quality" branded goods - to see bits of cheap plastic used instead of more robust materials for mechanical or load bearing parts that I know are going to break in a few months, thus rendering the whole thing useless when it fails.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            Can you buy anything that is not made in China now? I dread it when I open anything up - even "quality" branded goods - to see bits of cheap plastic used instead of more robust materials for mechanical or load bearing parts that I know are going to break in a few months, thus rendering the whole thing useless when it fails.

Agree 100%. My £300 Gaggia coffee machine has broken down twice in 3 months, and the plastic parts are showing signs of wear. I'm sure it must have been made in China.

Comment

I can't watch that tosser Nicky Campbell for more than 3 seconds without feeling the urge to throw something at the television so am unable to comment on anything Watchdog related.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Having a Prepayment meter doesn't always mean you are the bad guy. Many landlords put them in for obvious reasons, also you can inherit one. I can't see a valid reason for making it more expensive.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  I can't watch that tosser Nicky Campbell for more than 3 seconds without feeling the urge to throw something at the television so am unable to comment on anything Watchdog related.
                  Well, he wasn't exactly sticking it to the timeshare bloke...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Gingergedi for PM! I agree 100% Speaking as a sad anorak, I'd regard it as a major bonus if the scooter turned up requiring major assembly with dodgy instructions - some people have no sense of adventure!
                    All motorcycles are delivered requiring assembly, an original British sales scam/innovation I might add.

Buy a new motorcycle and you'll see it says 'assembly charge' on the invoice. If not, then it was second hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X