• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Since when did advent begin on November 17th?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House on Chislehurst Village Green has loads of lights - including a couple of reindeer. Do they not realize advent begins on DEcember 1st? How does he afford the electricity?

I might get the local church to organize a crusade against em....

DD1 keeps asking why there are Christmas trees up and lights in the shops.

The answer of "because it's two weeks before advent, and then it's only four more weeks until Christmas" doesn't really sink in.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I often have a whinge about how Christmas is always started stupidly early purely for retailers' commercial reasons. But then, even though I am most certainly not a religious person, I remind myself to be grateful for the fact that we do still celebrate Christmas in this country; and we haven't had to rename it to 'Winterval' or something that doesn't offend the minorities. Yet...

Comment

Why dont we get the green brigade onto this and ban all Christmas lights
        Think of the savings to the environment and planet.

I think I will mention this to the plastic carrier bag police at Waitrose the next time they try and sell me a "bag for life".

P.S. I guess you've realised now that I'm not really Santa.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          Why dont we get the green brigade onto this and ban all Christmas lights
          Think of the savings to the environment and planet.

I think I will mention this to the plastic carrier bag police at Waitrose the next time they try and sell me a "bag for life".

P.S. I guess you've realised now that I'm not really Santa.
          my kids read this board!

luckily I told them you are really!

Comment

Point of Liturgical Order

Advent doesn't begin on December 1st. It begins on the Sunday nearest St Andrew's Day, which this year actually is St Andrew's Day, November 30th.

Comment

Why don't we set some muslims on to them.

Do muslims oppose christmas?

Comment

Not in itself. But they're not so fond of the little sausages wrapped in bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Not in itself. But they're not so fond of the little sausages wrapped in bacon.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

I've seen Chritmas lights up since mid October, it rather spoils the whole thing for me. Christmas doesn't start 'till mid/late December in my book then it's much more fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X