• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying Personal Allowance for the year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Personal Allowance for the year

If I pay myself the personal allowance for the year from my ltd co (which I think is around £6000), plus any expenses. Would that mean I pay no income tax or NI for the year?

At the moment I am paying myself NMW and I think the tax is too high on it. Any suggestions?

As you said, pay yourself £6k (no tax or NO) then dividends

Comment

Originally posted by alfatech View Post
      If I pay myself the personal allowance for the year from my ltd co (which I think is around £6000), plus any expenses. Would that mean I pay no income tax or NI for the year?

At the moment I am paying myself NMW and I think the tax is too high on it. Any suggestions?
      From my understanding, you will still pay N.I. on any amount above the £4305 limit.... even if your tax code is over £6k
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        From my understanding, you will still pay N.I. on any amount above the £4305 limit.... even if your tax code is over £6k
        NI rate currently runs from the primary threshold of £105 per week, so it's a little more generous than you thought. NI is payable on this irrespective of any tax allowances.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          NI rate currently runs from the primary threshold of £105 per week, so it's a little more generous than you thought. NI is payable on this irrespective of any tax allowances.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm
          And with a Pay of £121.25 per week (based on a £6k allowance over 52 weeks), my argument may still hold. :-)
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I wish I could live on 6k a year.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I wish I could live on 6k a year.
              I wish I could live on 6k a month.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                Price of Pot Noodle going up in London?

Maybe they are in short supply or something.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

Comment

dont mind paying NI - how much will I end up paying over the year if I pay myself £6k a year? At what percentage is NI charged?

Also will I qualify for a state pension contribution year by paying myself this amount?

Comment

Working...
                    X