• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benched

.. as of first week in december, any guesses on when the next contract will be?

my guess:

December - nobody usually hires in december
    January - traditionally slow, 2009 nothing
    February - it usually picks up but by then the pound will be down with the Laos kip or Chilean Peso so unlikely unless some depts have some remains of a budget to "spend it or lose it"
    March - no chance, budgets are spent
    April - new year, new budgets, maybe some work might start materialising

so, given this cheerful news, what's the fashion in bench cushions these days?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post

my guess:

January - traditionally slow, this year nothing
    February - it usually picks up but by then the pound will be down with the Laos kip or Chilean Peso so unlikely unless some depts have some remains of a budget "spend it or lose it"

Sorry we are all out of cushions. It's the credit crunch innit. Don't worry though once the calluses develop it stops hurting as much.

Comment

Bad luck chef, I think a lot of us are hoping for a bit of an uptick come new budgets next year.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

chef, it might be just me, but you do seem to be in and out of contracts quite a lot.

If this is indeed the case, is the reason:

a) chef is a proper contractor and does proper contract work

or

b) chef is a hapless, shambling buffoon who never gets an extension

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Chef, whilst on the bench, perhaps you could take on a special project - go through the CUK member list and remove all sock puppets.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Chef, whilst on the bench, perhaps you could take on a special project - go through the CUK member list and remove all sock puppets.
            I love that idea.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Dead as a dodo on the recruitment front at the moment (which is largely why me, DA, PimpandProud etc. are posting more).

Current clients (and a couple of new ones I have just agreed preferred supplier status with) have confirmed they will be recruiting in the New Year, that they are largely unaffected by current market conditions and they are just waiting on new budget spend.

So hopefully whilst the remainder of November and December itself will be quite we should see some pick up in the New Year.

Chin up chaps!
              I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

You could always start farming gold in WoW....
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Despite being possibly the worst time to launch a new venture I'll be recruiting in the new year so things are looking fine from here. Unemployment 1.82 million -5

Agents - no need to get in touch
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

my guess:

January - traditionally slow, 2009 nothing
                    February - it usually picks up but by then the pound will be down with the Laos kip or Chilean Peso so unlikely unless some depts have some remains of a budget to "spend it or lose it"

Don't you need to add the year to the above, i.e. April 2011. For the full doomed effect

Comment

Working...
                    X