• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Annoying things motorists do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying things motorists do

What inconsiderate things motorists do get on your goat? And what are your remedies?
    • People parking with their headlights turned on facing oncoming traffic, which means you have headlights shining at you from both sides of the road as you drive by them. I sometimes show my appreciation by giving them full beam.

• People edging out from a junction to indicate their desire to pull out. Sometimes to the extent that you have to swerve around or stop to let them out. The trick here is to pass so close by their front bumpers that they fear there may be a collision. Either that or you slow to an extent that they still can't pull out in front, and narrow the gap behind they could have had, had they been less pushy.

• People pulling out in front of you and not accelerating, forcing you to brake rather than decelerate. You can bet you will be stuck behind a ditherer who will probably eventually do something stupid such as indicating left and turning right.

• Parking in dangerous or inconsiderate places, such as opposite T-junctions or overhanging a driveway entrance.

• Tailgater's.

People edging out from a junction to indicate their desire to pull out.
    During the rush hour, there are a great many roads that converge together with solid streams coming in both directions, and somehow you have to get in to either stream.

Unless you want to sit there for 10 mins or more, you have no choice but to gently edge out.

The other option is to hope and pray someone in the incoming stream will stop to let you out, and that's a rarity these days.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

People who don't indicate, dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists.

Middle lane hoggers, effectively reducing motorways to dual carriageways

Inappropriate use of hazard lights. If the motorway is suddenly jammed hit your hazards to warn others, don't use them as an excuse to park on double yellow lines.

Tailgaters who cause wave motion traffic jams.

Motorists who call the overtaking only lane the "Fast lane" and automatically jump into it even when traffic is solid.

People who moan about truckers, usually HGV drivers are the politest and safest drivers. Watch how they keep moving in dense traffic.
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 18 November 2008, 11:29.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        During the rush hour, there are a great many roads that converge together with solid streams coming in both directions, and somehow you have to get in to either stream.

Unless you want to sit there for 10 mins or more, you have no choice but to gently edge out.

The other option is to hope and pray someone in the incoming stream will stop to let you out, and that's a rarity these days.
        I think it depends to an extent what neck of the woods you live in. When I lived (on contract) in Farnborough/Fleet I was amazed at how cut-throat everyone appeared to be. Whereas in the West country, motorists seem to be pretty polite generally.

Comment

I never seem to get the problems you chaps, and others I hear, have on the roads.

Why don't you just chill. You're still going to get wherever it is on time anyway.

Comment

What annoys me most, pretty much, is all other road users.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
              I never seem to get the problems you chaps, and others I hear, have on the roads.

Why don't you just chill. You're still going to get wherever it is on time anyway.
              Do you do many motorway miles?
              Do you visit the South East?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

What really grinds my gears is, having signalled to move into the right-hand lane to overtake the vehicle in front, the moron behind me (more often than not in a BMW) accelerates and pulls out to try to beat me to it.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Those nutty Mini drivers that pass on the left whereever they feel like, even in roundabouts.

Motocyclists that feel like it your legal bound obligation to allow them to pass between cars in heavy traffic.

People who want to park on the pavement where you're standing..even honking at you to get outta the way. I usually give them two fingers and stand my ground.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Do you do many motorway miles?
                    Do you visit the South East?
                    Do you find motorways to be worse than other roads? Even though they are in fact considerably safer.

Is the South East more dangerous to drive a car around than any other part of the country? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                    X