• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B one step Closer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B one step Closer

My Plan B was to buy a pub business.....Well i have now found one which seems to be ticking all the boxes...anyone got any experience in buying a pub business..understand the ins and outs of it or know someone who is currently doing it.

It is on a 5 year lease so i assume that after the 5 years i either have to move out or renew ?. Also as i suspect it is owned by a brewery i have to buy all my products off them and then do i also have to give them a cut of the sales ??

I'm waiting for a reply from the business hence the question while i wait

p.s hope everyone is doing well
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Wouldn't it be better to wait until the economic collapse starts in earnest, and pick one up for a song?

Comment

Coops,

I would suggest you to through away the key to your piggy bank and not try to find it until you have done thorough research on the pub business

from what I have read is it 5 pubs a week are closing at the moment

more-over as far as I understand the worst to have are the tied pubs where the brewers take all the profits

be very careful when going down the pub business route

all the best

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
        My Plan B was to buy a pub business.....Well i have now found one which seems to be ticking all the boxes...anyone got any experience in buying a pub business..understand the ins and outs of it or know someone who is currently doing it.

It is on a 5 year lease so i assume that after the 5 years i either have to move out or renew ?. Also as i suspect it is owned by a brewery i have to buy all my products off them and then do i also have to give them a cut of the sales ??

I do hope you are joking.

In the current economic climate, people are more likely to stay at home and drink than go to the local boozer - brassy barmaid or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post

You're asking some basic questions for someone about to buy a pub..

IIRC most brewery owned pubs force you to supply their beer but allow you to also provide a none-brewery drink.

You will work 7 days a week, no holidays!

/From my extensive pub experience of 'knowing my local pub's landlord'
          B00med!

Comment

I spent the first 17 years of my life living in a pub. I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE. Especially anyone with children.
            If you live over the pub - you'll be working very long hours.
            If you have a romantic image of standing at the bar with a pint in your hand chatting to the regulars, you will soon find the reality is very different.

My niece is a licensee in North London and works 7 days a week. Pubs open every day of the year, the only night ours was shut was Christmas night and when everyone else is having a Bank Holiday - you'll be behind the bar serving them.

If you go through with it choose very carefully. There are a lot of pubs going out of business at the mo.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Things to consider

Have you ever worked/ran a pub, if not get some experience? Honest I looked into being a pub manager, and did not realise how hard it was until a managed the pub ( with permission from the Brewery) for 2 weeks.

Lease’s are normally longer than 5 years so you need to find out why and ensure that this is not a tenancy agreement.

If lease, you are responsible for maintaining the property and the Brewery/Landlord can increase your rent on an annual basis

Anyone new to the trade will have to hold an accredited qualification such as the National Certificate for Personal License Holders (NCPLH), or they will not be granted a personal license, the magistrate may also request a police check on you prior to granting a licence.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Thanks for the responses...i should have mentioned that it is a Hotel and Restaurant so doesn't just rely on wet sales which can be hardly anything if it is tied in leashold (waiting to find out status). There are already staff in place such as head chef, Restaurant Manager, Bar Manager, cleaners and kitchen porters e.t.c so i doubt i would have to be to much hands on and can still keep some level of private time not behind the bar.

It is based in a nice area up north and has a lot of local trade as well as tourists through out the year.
                Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

IMHO The pub business started to decline with the smoking ban, many have gone to the wall already. Steer clear.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

local pubs around my area are closing and part of the reason is sky high fees they need to pay sky/setanta for broadcasting live sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X