• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Must see TV for the scientists amongst us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must see TV for the scientists amongst us

BBC2, 9.00pm Tonight:

Does Stephen Hawking's celebrity outweigh his real contribution to science? That's the question at the heart of this deep, deep film. That and lots of near-unfathomable questions about black holes. The biggest of which is whether they don't just eat up space and time, but information, too - a shocking theory that Hawking maintained for 30 years. If his "information paradox" were true, we're told, all that science holds dear would fly out of the window. Which is why Hawking's rivals have tried for years to disprove it, and apparently succeeded. Only now, Hawking, frailer than ever, is fighting back with a new hole theory. It's a heroic story, and the film does an admirable job with the daunting physics, giving us a taste of big ideas but never overtaxing us. You just hope Hawking lives long enough to bring off one last coup.

Threaded need not watch, he knows the answer already.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    He appeared on StarTrek, what more do you need to know?
    ...and "The Simpsons"!
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Yes but who is the brains of the outfit. The guy in the chair is a remote controled front.Who is driving him?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Is this Hawking's recent volte face, where he now believes that not all information is lost when something enters a black hole? I seem to remember him announcing this during the past year, which flew against the model he had developed over the previous 25 years.

BTW, threaded was on the Simpsons? What sort of character did he play?

Comment

Waylon Smithers!
          You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Comic book guy, of course. Here he is at the Ambassador's party...

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              Yes but who is the brains of the outfit. The guy in the chair is a remote controled front.Who is driving him?
              Say no more...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                Comic book guy, of course. Here he is at the Ambassador's party...

Oh no!!!! I actually understand the shirt!
                You know you'll need us!

Comment

DimPrawn: It is not really a paradox. What Hawking did was try to combine a model of the small scale: quantum mechanics, with with a model of the large scale: relativity, using a mathematical technique developed by Penrose.

So essentially you have a probabilty system shoe horned into a limits system using a platonist system.

Small wonder it is all a little confused.

When they dump quantum mechanics for something better it will be so obvious: the information is not lost, it stays there, and just cannot be seen.

HTH
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Threaded. I'm sure it's hard for you to find time to solve these mysteries when you have better things to do like drive Lambos and shag lady diplomats.

Comment

Working...
                    X