• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Woolworths going bust?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woolworths going bust?

Just heard on the news Woolworths is going bust, and maybe brought by another retailer for £1.00 (can't find any links however) I wonder who will be next?
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Wasn't the whole company bought as a gift for someone's wife in the '70s or '80s...

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
      and maybe brought by another retailer for £1.00
      How fitting !

Comment

rumour unless there's a credible source

EDIT: i stand corrected

"Woolworths - which is famous for its pick 'n' mix - is believed to be in discussions with restructuring firm Hilco to sell its 800-store chain for a nominal £1. The shares lost nearly a third of their value on the news, falling 1.23p to 2.58p, after being suspended briefly before the announcement."
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you've been in a Woolworths recently this isn't that hard to understand - the couple I have been in have been like badly organised jumble says.

Woolworths PLC though, includes some profitable bits such as EUK (the wholesaler); and I believe it is only the actual retail stores they are seeking a buyer for!

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
            badly organised jumble sales
            Spot on !

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
              Just heard on the news Woolworths is going bust, and maybe brought by another retailer for £1.00 (can't find any links however) I wonder who will be next?
              The pound shop?

Comment

Serve 'em right, if true. Their Xmas adverts are just terrible. Bring back the 2-minute extravaganzas of yesteryear, chock-a-block with ... er ... celebs... oh, hang on, er..

Comment

I thought Alan Sugar tried to buy a 4% stake? But shares frozen as owned by icelandic company?

Comment

Working...
                  X