• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excuse me ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excuse me ....

would it be alright if I went to the toilet please?

You could not make this up!!!
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

can't read it - what does it say?
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Reuters Explains Photo Of Bush Bathroom Note

September 15, 2005
      By Daryl Lang

Don't blame the photographer.

That's the message from Gary Hershorn, a picture editor for Reuters, about the photo yesterday that shows President George W. Bush writing an all-too-human note during a UN meeting.

Bush is shown writing: "I think I may need a bathroom break. Is this possible."

The photo, which quickly became fodder for blogs and e-mails among friends, was taken by Rick Wilking, a contract photographer based in Denver who recently covered the flooding in New Orleans.

Hershorn, Reuters' news editor for pictures for the Americas, says he's responsible for zooming in on the note and deciding to transmit the photo to Reuters clients. He says Wilking didn't know what the note said when he shot the picture.

"I'm so adamant that Rick has nothing to do with this. He was just the guy who pushed the button," Hershorn says.

In response to the attention the photo is getting, Reuters' spokeswoman in London released a two-sentence statement about the picture: "The photographer and editors on this story were looking for other angles in their coverage of this event, something that went beyond the stock pictures of talking heads that these kind of forums usually offer. This picture certainly does that."

So how did the picture happen?

According to Hershorn, Wilking was one of several photographers covering the United Nations Security Council meeting between about 11 and noon yesterday. He was part of a pool stationed on a balcony that faced Bush's back; a group of White House photographers was on a balcony facing the president.

Wilking shot about 200 images and sent two memory cards to the press room at the U.N., where Hershorn was working. Hershorn looked at the images on a computer and initially decided not to send any of them.

But a few hours later, he started to wonder about a note that Bush was seen writing in three of the pictures. Out of curiosity, he zoomed in to see if he could read it.

Once he saw what it said, Hershorn decided the note was interesting and worth publishing. The white parts of the picture were overexposed, so a Reuters processor used Photoshop to burn down the note. This is a standard practice for news photos, Hershorn says, and the picture was not manipulated in any other way.

Around 4:30 p.m., Reuters transmitted two versions of the photo, including one that was tightly cropped around the note and Bush's hand.

The caption says that Bush was writing the note to Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice; Hershorn says Wilking saw Bush write the note and hand the note to Rice.

Hershorn says heads of state seldom attend Security Council meetings, and it's possible that Bush was simply asking his secretary of state what the proper protocol was to be excused.

Online, some accused Reuters, and the media in general, of being insulting or juvenile. A letter writer to Editor & Publisher wrote, "You ought to all be ashamed of yourselves for this stupid trivia and childish focus."

It's unclear how widely the picture was published; Hershorn says The (Toronto) Globe and Mail published it but he wasn't sure of any other outlets. Hershorn says he decided to transmit the picture because it was interesting.

"There was no malicious intent," he says. "That's not what we do."
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

everyone has a boss..............
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

God thing it wasn't Johnson. Didn't he continue to conduct meetings while sitting on the John?
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
            God thing it wasn't Johnson. Didn't he continue to conduct meetings while sitting on the John?
            Yes, and one of his young female secretaries later said that one night at Camp David she was woken in the middle of the might by the sound of someone entering her room. She couldn't see him in the dark, but on asking who the figure was, Johnson (for it was he) replied "Move over - this is your President!".
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Totally unlike the god king Kennedy, who would shag anything that was still breathing...

I know someone like that, if there is a pulse, then he'll shag it, or atleast atempt to!
              SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Allegedly true story.

Churchill is in the bunker under Whitehall and is attending to a call of nature in the toilet cubicle that is reserved for him. His PPS comes and knocks on the cubicle door and says, "sir, the Lord Privvy Seal is here to see you".

The great man replies, "well you'll just have to tell him I can only deal with one tulip at a time."

Comment

I think I may need a bathroom break
                  Probably has to ask his advisors to be sure

Comment

Working...
                  X