• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If all else fails…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If all else fails…

I could become a bailiff. Yesterday I won my third fight with a security door or gate in the last 12 months.

The whizzy-whirly door at the exit of the office, where you have to hold up your pass to get out, caught against my suitcase and shot back at me, clamping my toe underneath the door with such force as to damage my shoe and rip the skin away from above my toenail. As the door continued to push against my foot, I was in considerable pain. Using my 16 stone weight and rugby training, I then dropped my shoulder and rammed the bloody door to get it off my foot. The door spun open with a loud cracking noise and the rest of the door hit my back. The security ape at reception saw this and immediately started ranting at me for breaking his door. Luckily, the Chief Financial Officer happened to be in the lobby and saw this happen, and said to the security ape, in his most eloquent manner, ‘**** the door, what about his foot?’ I then swapped details with the CFO as he offered to reimburse the cost of my shoes, which he saw were fairly costly. So, I’ve lost a bit of skin but got a new pair of 300 euro shoes, in return for breaking a 7500 euro security door. Mich 1, Security Doors 0.

Two earlier experiences; on a trip to Madrid by train we had to cross Paris by metro. The stupid security gates at the metro are so designed that it’s bloody impossible to get through while carrying baggage. Having watched with rising fury as my girlfriend was clamped in by the gate, but managed to slip through, the damn thing then clamped me and smashed into my ribs. I gave it a good ram, and it flew open with a noisy clunk. Mich 2, Security Doors 0. I ran for the metro and got away quickly. At my last client, another whirly-door incident led to me shoving the door off it’s hinges as my umbrella got trapped and the door shot back and hit my face. Mich 3, Security Doors 0.

So if the market stays really tulipe, I think I’ll be quite good at debt collecting. ‘Sir, if you don’t open the door, I will open it, and you will need a new door’.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ...Two earlier experiences; on a trip to Madrid by train we had to cross Paris by metro. The stupid security gates at the metro are so designed that it’s bloody impossible to get through while carrying baggage. Having watched with rising fury as my girlfriend was clamped in by the gate, but managed to slip through, the damn thing then clamped me and smashed into my ribs. I gave it a good ram, and it flew open with a noisy clunk. Mich 2, Security Doors 0. I ran for the metro and got away quickly. ...
    as my girlfriend was clamped in by the gate, I managed to slip in and gave her a good ram

but I don't think you should call your girlfriend as "noisy clunk".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is the issue here the doors or is it your inability to pass through them without getting stuck?

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

You might need to forget those years of rugby training when using doors.

Comment

Mich ate all the pies
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            You might need to forget those years of rugby training when using doors.
            And eat less

Comment

You still use a suitcase!!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                Battering ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                  Hehe. I clocked that too.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    but I don't think you should call your girlfriend as "noisy clunk".

But it describes mine! One-nil to you, NotAllThere!

Comment

Working...
                    X