• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you make of this email?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you make of this email?

Hi NastyNick,

I am currently working on a OurCompanyName tax assessment, part of which involves our contractors. As such, we would like to know how you are all paid by the agencies who have placed you here: either as an employee of that agency, as a self employed contractor or via another company. If your agency does pay a company on your behalf, do you own that company?

Your help on this would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Mrs Secretary

I'd ignore it, if it were me.

Get them to sort it out with the agency if they want it that badly.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I didnt fancy ignoring it, so I replied yesterday with:

"I am the managing director of my own company (NastyNick Solutions), and the agency (MyAgency) pays NastyNick Solutions".

But it just seems strange that they need this info for a tax assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by NastyNick View Post
        Hi NastyNick,

I am currently working on a OurCompanyName tax assessment, part of which involves our contractors. As such, we would like to know how you are all paid by the agencies who have placed you here: either as an employee of that agency, as a self employed contractor or via another company. If your agency does pay a company on your behalf, do you own that company?

Your help on this would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards
        Mrs Secretary
        Tell them what the need to know without going into too much detail. If you use an Umbrella... tell them you get paid by an Umbrella. If you get paid by your own Ltd Company.... tell them that you pay yourself via your Ltd company and that the tax is handled accordingly with UK law. Advise them that the payment between the Umbrella / Your Ltd Co and your agency is confidential and cannot be discussed.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I concur with the faqqer...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I would probably just tell them, as long as they don't ask for specifics...I suppose you don't have to, but I don't see that there's much to lose.

Comment

Working...
            X