• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dim Sum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dim Sum

Food assistance required! I'm making a main course Thai Shellfish Soup for the missus on Saturday night and thought it would be nice to have some dim sum as a starter. I've never had them at home - always had them when we've eaten out. Where do I get them to eat at home or is it a case of making them from scratch? If I do make them from scratch, I've got a steamer but where do I get the parcels, fillings etc? Any sensible answers gratefully received!

Ta

Locky
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Food assistance required! I'm making a main course Thai Shellfish Soup for the missus on Saturday night and thought it would be nice to have some dim sum as a starter. I've never had them at home - always had them when we've eaten out. Where do I get them to eat at home or is it a case of making them from scratch? If I do make them from scratch, I've got a steamer but where do I get the parcels, fillings etc? Any sensible answers gratefully received!

Ta

Locky
    we get them frozen from a chinese supermarket, then simply steam and eat.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      we get them frozen from a chinese supermarket, then simply steam and eat.
      +1

Chinese supermarket generally has a decent variety. They also sell the wonton (sp?) squares/sheets for making your own.

mmmm shumai ....

Comment

Aha! Best look out for an Oriental Supermarket then!

Cheers!
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

i agree with the chinese supermarket suggetions

also, if you have a selfridges near by, they have ready made dim sum in the food court area

roughly where are you based lockhouse?
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Sorry I've not replied sooner - I've actually been busy today for a change!

I live in Winchester but stay in London during the week. There's a big Chinese supermarket in Southampton I shall visit on Saturday.

Selfridges is a good idea but I'm not passing one before the weekend alas.

Ta

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              i agree with the chinese supermarket suggetions

also, if you have a selfridges near by, they have ready made dim sum in the food court area

roughly where are you based lockhouse?
              would that be Trafford or City Center Selfridges?
              I might have to try those...
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                would that be Trafford or City Center Selfridges?
                I might have to try those...
                The one in the Trafford centre has a little sushi bar too, with a conveyor belt sending little dishes of yummy stuff past you every 30 seconds.
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  The one in the Trafford centre has a little sushi bar too, with a conveyor belt sending little dishes of yummy stuff past you every 30 seconds.
                  You mean YO! Sushi?

Possibly the worst sushi I've ever had.. went to the one in the city centre once, the place was so dirty, for the first time ever I asked for the manager and complained!
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                  X