• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The PayStream banner add

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PayStream banner add

Morning All,

you see the PayStream banner add at the top of the screen,

it says:

'You wouldn't accept a lizza like this...

(photograph of pizza with piece missing)

or a pint, served like this...

(photograph of a pint with a good head)'

well I have to contend, anybody who has worked in Germany, Belgium, Central Europe, Austria, would _expect_ a pint to be served like that, and if it wasn't they would worry that the beer is off.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Morning All,

you see the PayStream banner add at the top of the screen,

it says:

'You wouldn't accept a lizza like this...

(photograph of pizza with piece missing)

or a pint, served like this...

(photograph of a pint with a good head)'

well I have to contend, anybody who has worked in Germany, Belgium, Central Europe, Austria, would _expect_ a pint to be served like that, and if it wasn't they would worry that the beer is off.

Milan.
    A lizza? Is that some kind of faulty lezza?

Comment

sorry typo should be pizza

Milan.

Comment

Milan.
        But in those places it wouldn't be a pint - it would be half-a-litre, but in a pint-sized glass to make room for the large head. Serving a pint with a head that large on it in the UK would be illegal under the Weights and Measures Act.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          But in those places it wouldn't be a pint - it would be half-a-litre, but in a pint-sized glass to make room for the large head. Serving a pint with a head that large on it in the UK would be illegal under the Weights and Measures Act.
          I am sure there are parts of Yorkshire where they still provide slightly larger than normal glasses to accommodate a frothy head on a pint? Perhaps someone can confirm...........assuming that by now the internet has reached Yorkshire?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            I am sure there are parts of Yorkshire where they still provide slightly larger than normal glasses to accommodate a frothy head on a pint? Perhaps someone can confirm...........assuming that by now the internet has reached Yorkshire?
            One of my first under age pints was in a Samuel Smith pub in York obtained one afternoon on a school trip when myself, a friend and a couple of girls from the year below managed to avoid the supervision.

The pint glass was indeed oversize, with a line about half an inch from the brim indicating where the pint measure was up to
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              The pint glass was indeed oversize, with a line about half an inch from the brim indicating where the pint measure was up to
              I think that's the norm now.

Comment

Milan.
                anybody who has ordered a beer

unless they're checking your right to work before serving you these days...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Everybody knows that the correct British response to being served a pint like that is:

“kin’ell mate… do I get spoon with that”.

Home or abroad.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Oversized (or "Pint to Line") glasses are a voluntary thing, due to pressure from the big brewing conglomerates - it must be nearly twenty years since the last private member's bill seeking to require them by law was booted out by the government of the day to avoid upsetting their big business cronies.

They do seem to be more common up North. I think this is probably because, traditionally, Northern ales (such as Tetley) have been served with a large creamy head, whereas Southern ales tended to be brewed to have very little head (for example, Suffolk ales such as Adnams and Greene King always used to be served, in their own pubs, with virtually no head to speak of).

Serving beer with a large head is a big moneyspinner for the large brewers. They are allowed to get away with a head of up to 10% of the volume, meaning that every eleventh pint costs them nothing. This is why they object so strongly to the mandatory use of lined glasses.

They also foster the notion that a large head is somehow normal by only ever showing beer with a large head in their advertising. However, this ignores the variety of regional variations surrounding this matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X