• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 months a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 months a year

Could you survive on that? Would you want to?

I guess that some of us may be bracing themselves for that sort of bench-time.

Obviously more money would be nice, but I would be on about the same as my last permie job if I worked just 6 months a year.

So that's like 6 months paid holiday - quite a perk. I wouldn't mind 6 months a year to spend with the family whilst all my old colleagues are still turning up to the mill day after dull day.

Yes, and yes.

I normally only work 9 months a year max anyway, so another 3 months is nothing really.

There is no price that I can be paid to replace quality time with the family - I contract so that I can work less, not earn more.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have done in the past (and very nice it was too).
      My current gig won't allow me to save enough money to do it again soon though
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

So far yes !
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
          Could you survive on that? Would you want to?
          Could do. Would get bored and end up coding anyway, on plan B or for fun.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I see it in a slightly different light. I work 5 years on and then may have 5 years off.

Comment

Good answers.

I was thinking that since the last permie job we'd got accustomed to living on that amount a year so it wouldn't be a hardship. I would love to work on plan Bs and keeping on top of the development treadmill rather than wasting time and diesel going into a code mill whilst my skillset goes down the pan.

Comment

Yes, and seeing as my girlfriend has a good safe job in nursing and we have a small mortgage we’d be fine. I think I’d have to cut back on the top class restaurant visits; perhaps once every two weeks instead of every week, drink a bit more supermarket wine and perhaps drive a second hand car, but all this is peanuts when you consider all the free time for astronomy, messing about in the garden, going to the beach and so on.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Yes, and yes.

I normally only work 9 months a year max anyway, so another 3 months is nothing really.

There is no price that I can be paid to replace quality time with the family - I contract so that I can work less, not earn more.
                  ditto
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I work 9 months a year. Trying to reduce that though.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X