• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Statutory sick pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statutory sick pay?

I know as a director you can claim maternity and paternity pay from the government but what about statutory sick pay?

Obviously it won’t be much but as a tax payer I should be entitled to something surely?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I know as a director you can claim maternity and paternity pay from the government but what about statutory sick pay?

Obviously it won’t be much but as a tax payer I should be entitled to something surely?
    Yes you can claim it subject to all the normal rules. What your company will get back (if anything) depends upon the same set of rules.

This should tell you how to claim from your employer:-
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...y_sick_pay.asp

This should tell you how your employer gets the money back (if applicable):-
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/spmmanual/SPM10965.htm

Comment

Maximum is £75.40 a week to claim back,minus something for your Class 1 NICs.

Assuming that you pay yourself minimum wage. There are some good calculators which show you what the employee can get and what the employer can claim back.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Maximum is £75.40 a week to claim back,minus something for your Class 1 NICs.

Assuming that you pay yourself minimum wage. There are some good calculators which show you what the employee can get and what the employer can claim back.
        i pay myself directors fee only not min wage, am i still entitled to this? If so how does one claim if off work for say a week?

Comment

Have a look at the DWP website and fill out their calculator - it will ask you if you are a director, and then you have to fill in what you've been paid.

IIRC though, you have to be paid more than a certain amount to be able to claim anything.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
            i pay myself directors fee only not min wage, am i still entitled to this? If so how does one claim if off work for say a week?
            Statutory Sick Pay is funded by wage taxes. Why should you get any if you don't pay them?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Statutory Sick Pay is funded by wage taxes. Why should you get any if you don't pay them?
              IIRC, if you are not entitled to SSP, then you can apply for sickness benefit direct from the DWP.

Disclaimer: this might be wrong and I am thinking of SMP and maternity benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Have a look at the DWP website and fill out their calculator - it will ask you if you are a director, and then you have to fill in what you've been paid.

IIRC though, you have to be paid more than a certain amount to be able to claim anything.
                To get SSP you must be:

Sick for at least 4 or more days in a row (including weekends and bank holidays). This is known as a Period of Incapacity for Work.
                Earn, before tax and National Insurance an average of £90.00 a week. This is called the Lower Earnings Limit for National Insurance Contributions (NIC). The amount you need to earn is lower than the amount when you have to start paying NIC’s or would start paying if you were treated as an employed earner.

My directors fee is based on £106 pw before NI & tax.
                calculator link
                http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/calcs/ssp.htm

not sure as i am director does that mean i am employee as well?

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
                  not sure as i am director does that mean i am employee as well?
                  Not necessarily - you need a contract of employment to be an employee. There may be an implied contract for you, though.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                  X