• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

According to Ian Hislop...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Ian Hislop...

...there are now over 100 train heritage steam lines operating in the UK today. Take that, Beeching!
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    ...there are now over 100 train heritage steam lines operating in the UK today. Take that, Beeching!
    Its funny that.

Beeching and that guy Malthus always get a beating from lefty lecturers etc
    I never understood why, and I was always too scared to ask, or even mention it. I still am

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Any here been on all of them?

Comment

Beeching didn't cut enough. He expected that his report would be seen in a holistic way, which was rather naive. If he had taken a more realistic view he would have recommended cutting far more, and in this way it would have saved more. Wasn't it something like 40 year after the recommendation they started installing high speed switches, and that was because the French insisted on them as part of the chunnel deal. Talk about foot dragging...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Any here been on all of them?

Are you suggesting that any of us are sad anorak-wearing, clipboard-carrying nerds?

Oh, hang on a minute

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Its funny that.

Beeching and that guy Malthus always get a beating from lefty lecturers etc
            I never understood why, and I was always too scared to ask, or even mention it. I still am

Funny though, I've met plenty of folk who hold right-wing views on other things, but would have supported pouring money into the old train network. Maybe it's nostalgia, but the sight of a steam train going down the an old countryside track, is something very beautiful. Perhaps we should have just converted all the south-west into a giant theme park (keeping all the old train lines).
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
              Beeching didn't cut enough. He expected that his report would be seen in a holistic way, which was rather naive. If he had taken a more realistic view he would have recommended cutting far more, and in this way it would have saved more. Wasn't it something like 40 year after the recommendation they started installing high speed switches, and that was because the French insisted on them as part of the chunnel deal. Talk about foot dragging...
              According to one of the experts Hislop had on the programme, about one-third of the lines Beeching cut would be profitable if still in operation today.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                According to one of the experts Hislop had on the programme, about one-third of the lines Beeching cut would be profitable if still in operation today.
                Yes, if you are (very) imaginative with the concept of what profitable means in the context of the British railway system.

Comment

I wish the gimp could come back from the grave and sort out the bawsacks that work on the Glasgow-Edinburgh line.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Seems unlikely. In Beeching's day, car ownership was much lower, so the necessity for public transport linking villages and small towns was much greater.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X