• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless Networks - Safe At Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Networks - Safe At Home

Have been hearing stories that wireless networks are not safe due to the wireless emmissions that are transmitted.

Is this true or is this really nothing to worry about - I have a w/n set up at home and am a little concerned.

Comments welcome please...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6677051.stm

Just wear a tin foil hat to be on the safe side.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Never done me any ........oh hang on.

Comment

Ever since Thalidomide and Watergate, every so-called "investigative journalist" is always looking for the next Thalidomide or Watergate, which is why you get such sensationalist claptrap as the 2007 Panorama programme about how bad wifi can be for your health.

I can't remember the exact figures, but to get the same radiation from an hour on a mobile phone, you need to be in a wifi zone for five years, or something crazy like that.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I bought some wireless eqpt a few years ago, only to find it gave me headaches, the effects of which lasted hours after coming off the web. Changed to a cabled/powerline solution.

Having said that wireless networks at clients' offices don't seem to affect me. But at home I was sitting 2 feet from the wireless modem!

QB.

Comment

Simple test of wireless safety: Place Pot Noodle, with COLD water in the container, near the router. Wait an hour. If Pot Noodle is still rock hard, full of cold water, with a few peas floating on top, then the radiation level is safe; else, you are going to die shortly, so end your time with a piping-hot Bombay Bad Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Have been hearing stories that wireless networks are not safe due to the wireless emmissions that are transmitted.

Is this true or is this really nothing to worry about - I have a w/n set up at home and am a little concerned.

Comments welcome please...
              Are you experiencing headaches and bleeding nose? If not, you don't have much to worry about. But if you want to throw caution to the wind, use powerline adaptors and disable wireless. There is very little evidence (imo) that proves any absolute proof that wireless is totally unsafe.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Shielded CAT6 is the only way to go...
                This man (sorry, alien) speaks the truth.
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                X