• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recession? Now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recession? Now?

I'm a bit disgusted with the timimg of this recession. They normally start just after the turn of the decade. I'm not ready yet.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I'm a bit disgusted with the timimg of this recession. They normally start just after the turn of the decade. I'm not ready yet.
    It is a bit of a bummer really; we all know that economies are cyclical, but this recession doesn’t look to me like a cyclical recession, more the result of economic vandalism and incompetence on the part of banks. For most of Europe it’s an early recession, not a cyclical one. Here in the Netherlands and in many other European countries, we don’t have a massive house price bubble, huge levels of personal debt or huge government deficits, but we’ve been driven into this mess by the wide boys in Wall Street and the City.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Agree.. what we need is for everyone to say when they are ready for a recession...

Recession by consensus.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
        Agree.. what we need is for everyone to say when they are ready for a recession...
        …and then a nice cup of tea with a digestive biscuit for everyone, followed by a recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post

Recession by consensus.
          Expectations drive recessions, so we do usually have recession by concensus
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            …and then a nice cup of tea with a digestive biscuit for everyone, followed by a recovery.
            With feet up on a leather poofe..
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Expectations drive recessions, so we do usually have recession by concensus
              That’s the point. If people can be persuaded to expect a recovery, then there’ll be a recovery. That’s why chef’s gran’s remedy-for-everything of a nice cup of tea is such a good analogy for what’s needed in the economy; something to feel good about, instead of looking at the stock market indices every day (which I’ve never done anyway as I find it almost as interesting as watching bowls.)

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                A bit homoerotic-phobic.

Comment

Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Around here, all the locals drink coffee and spend their time getting agitated instead of solving problems. The British and Irish contractors just have a nice cuppa together, work out a solution and then have plenty of time left for posting on CUK.

Comment

Working...
                    X