• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PBR: Darling may set umbrella expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBR: Darling may set umbrella expenses

Voicing its disapproval, the Treasury says such contracts allow “some temporary workers to gain tax relief for travel expenses not available to others working in similar circumstances.”
    We pay employers NI and employees NI so if Darling is going to remove the right to travel expenses and say we are shouldnt they stop us paying employers NI?

We're in a recession and they squeeze some more out of us umbrella users!

When the sun shines, we’ll shine together
    Told you I'll be here forever
    Said I'll always be your friend
    Took an oath I'mma stick it out 'till the end
    Now that it's raining more than ever
    Know that we'll still have each other
    Can I stand under your umbrella
    I want the tax from your umbrella
    (Ella ella eh eh eh)
    Tax from your umbrella
    (Ella ella eh eh eh)
    Tax from your umbrella
    (Ella ella eh eh eh)
    Tax from your umbrella
    (Ella ella eh eh eh eh eh eh)
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I don't expect anything in the PBR to help me. It will all be about the redistribution of wealth in support of 'fairness'...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

The PBR will be about winning the June election 2009.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Wait, so should the umbrella/client pay the employers NI by taking it off the monies you receive as PAYE? Oh wait.......

Comment

Wait, so should the umbrella/client pay the employers NI by taking it off the monies you receive as PAYE? Oh wait.......
            if umbrella users are effectively "employees" then why should they pay emplyers NI??

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
              We pay employers NI and employees NI so if Darling is going to remove the right to travel expenses and say we are shouldnt they stop us paying employers NI?

We're in a recession and they squeeze some more out of us umbrella users!
              the problem AIUI is with overarching contracts. I.e. they want to disallow the idea that you are employed by the umbrella, and take each contract as being a separate short employment. You would then be expected to live near your place of work (= client site) or pay for your lifestyle choice with your own money, same as any other employee.

Comment

if umbrella users are effectively "employees" then why should they pay emplyers NI??
                In case you haven't got it, they are employees, and they don't pay employer's NI. The umbrella does that. Obviously there is only one place where the umbrella is going to get the money to do that....

Comment

what about bringing in a law for temporary (contract workers) so that they can have a more transparent flexible tax policy?

I dont see myself as a disguised employee creaming tax benefits, the way i see it we should have more flexible taxation or expenses

i have more risk applied to my work than a permie - no health care, sick pay, holiday pay.

Comment

If the contractor doesn't pay it then the umbrella would have to vastly increase their fees.....

Anyway, there's a reason that agencies will often offer an 'on the books' rate and an 'off the books' rate - because if you're not on their books they don't have to pay it and acknowledge that you do.
                    Last edited by Beefy198; 21 November 2008, 23:59.

Comment

Working...
                    X