• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gigabyte Motherboard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte Motherboard

I've got a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard in my PC and I've had nothing but trouble with it. When I built the PC I put 2 1gb sticks of DDR2 memory running at 1066Mhz. It would give regular blue screens. I replaced the memory with 4 1GB DDR2 Memory (OCZ Fatality 1066Mhz) and still it blue screens with memory issues.

Eventually I bit the bullet and took it back to have it tested. They have said that they have had issues with this board running the fastest DDR2 memory and suggested putting slower memory in it. I'm not exactly happy with that. I asked about swapping it for a different board but they won't on the grounds that the manufacturer would not accept it as a faulty product since the board does not have a fault!

Any ideas?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I've got a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard in my PC and I've had nothing but trouble with it. When I built the PC I put 2 1gb sticks of DDR2 memory running at 1066Mhz. It would give regular blue screens. I replaced the memory with 4 1GB DDR2 Memory (OCZ Fatality 1066Mhz) and still it blue screens with memory issues.

Eventually I bit the bullet and took it back to have it tested. They have said that they have had issues with this board running the fastest DDR2 memory and suggested putting slower memory in it. I'm not exactly happy with that. I asked about swapping it for a different board but they won't on the grounds that the manufacturer would not accept it as a faulty product since the board does not have a fault!

Any ideas?
    2 trails of thought.

1. Does the manual state that it can handle the faster memory? If so, you can claim that you were mis-sold the product (can't remember the specific laws around ths).

2. Bite the bullet and replace the motherboard with one that supports the faster memory.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      Any ideas?
      ebay it and buy something else
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I would argue that under the Sale of Goods Act (1975), it is not fit for purpose, and therefore the supplier must give you a refund.

If they still won't accept that, then tell them that you will be complaining to Trading Standards about the shop.

That's usually enough to get a refund.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Check the manufacturers website for any BIOS updates.

Comment

There is a beta bios update on their website which I'll give a go. I might just buy a new board that does support the faster memory and use this board in one of the sprogs PC's with slower memory.

The gigabyte website indiacates that it has been tested with the type of memory I have but only 2gb.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
            X