• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And while we're on cars...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And while we're on cars...

The fecking woman blew up my old workhorse 95 Laguna a few months ago. Broken cam belt, don't know if there's any engine damage, but probably uneconomical to fix unless your a grease monkey. She now has a new car, but I don't really know what to do with the old one. Anyone'd be welcome to it if they wanted to tow it.

Whats the protocol here? Just dump it on an estate cark park for some pikies to live in?

Changing the cam belt is a fun thing to do at the weekend.

Comment

Fire can be both cleansing and profitable...
      Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
      You know you'll need us!

Comment

insight14: Even trying to start on a broken cam belt'll mean the engine'll be fooked. It'll be easier and cheaper to swop the whole engine out for a reconditioned one, and even easier and cheaper will be to swop the whole car for something not recalled quite as often as the Laguna (affectionately known in the trade as the "Yo yo" for it's regular habit of reappearing at the shop).
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I thought some cars had cutouts in the tops of the pistons so that they cannot hit the valves even if the cam belt breaks?

Comment

DimPrawn: I think you are thinking of something where slightly more thought than garlic went into the design.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Has anybody on here got an RX-8?

Comments?

I'm thinking of getting one. Don't really need 4 doors but it would make throwing the golf clubs in the back easier.
              You know you'll need us!

Comment

I've heard that they are cr@p.

I've got a nice Peugeot 306 you can have.

Only £2500 and it comes with one month's free MOT !!!

Comment

RX-8

Pros : Good value, nice shape, rotary engine
                  Cons: MPG pathetic (like struggles to do 20), rotary engine (sounds like a food blender), no torque.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    RX-8

Pros : Good value, nice shape, rotary engine
                    Cons: MPG pathetic (like struggles to do 20), rotary engine (sounds like a food blender), no torque.
                    Now, I've had a test-drive and it does not sound like a blender. As for MPG... FFS I'm a contractor!!! Who gives a feck about MPG... Tut. As for torque, I'm not planning on towing a bloody caravan!
                    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Working...
                    X