• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If VAT rate changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If VAT rate changes

Q1. Would flat rate VAT rates change?

Seems to me that as it is on the gross figure - and if it changes from 17.5% to 15% for a year only - then does not seem much point in changing flat rate percentage?

Q2. Will there be work in changing systems from 17.5% to 15%?

Q2. Will there be work in changing systems from 17.5% to 15%?
    I doubt it.

I have been using things like Pegasus / Opera Accounting, Sage and the like for years, and I know that in the Options settings, you have a VAT RATE field where the Sys Admin can change the Vat Rate in about 2 seconds.

Please don't me that some systems have the Vat Rate hardcoded in ?

That doesn't make sense, and any programmer who hardcoded such a variable figure needs to be shot for idiocy.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      I doubt it.

I have been using things like Pegasus / Opera Accounting, Sage and the like for years, and I know that in the Options settings, you have a VAT RATE field where the Sys Admin can change the Vat Rate in about 2 seconds.

That doesn't make sense, and any programmer who hardcoded such a variable figure needs to be shot for idiocy.
      hmmm - maybe we need a dual rate system again then? that would provide some work!

Hmmm - idiot programmers - don't get me started.....

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

Could it be like the millenium bug, planes falling out of the sky etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Could it be like the millenium bug, planes falling out of the sky etc?
          You mean the one where nothing happened - but we could charge loads on the pretext that it might?

Comment

Well, I'm guessing that for us on the flat rate VAT scheme we'll lose maybe 3% of our income overnight?
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

SJD's spreadsheet would have to change...

If they don't change the FRS rate, that'll move the point where it's worth being on the FRS and so many of us may be moving back to the full VAT system.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                SJD's spreadsheet would have to change...

If they don't change the FRS rate, that'll move the point where it's worth being on the FRS and so many of us may be moving back to the full VAT system.
                That's right, I do not really want the added hassle of VAT accounting every month. If the VAT reduction was just for a year or so I'd likely just stay on the FRS and swallow the ~3% reduction in income. About a £1.30p an hour loss on rate effectively.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Now the rumour is out there, this is going to kill retail sales between now and when the change is brought in.

And how does it work if the VAT rate changes half way through your VAT quarter?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I don't think he has thought it through.

Comment

Working...
                    X