• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sickness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sickness

Hi,

I have a severe chest infection possibly pneumonia , think I might need to take a week off, however im on a tight deadline with the contract project, what should I do? Can they fire me for being sick?

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Hi,

I have a severe chest infection possibly pneumonia , think I might need to take a week off, however im on a tight deadline with the contract project, what should I do? Can they fire me for being sick?
    They can't fire you for being sick, but they can drop you for failing to meet deadlines. Assuming you have a right of substitution clause that goes both ways and they can insist that you deliver.

Pneumonia can be severe to the ultimate point (you snuff it) so you must take great care to recover properly or you won't be delivering anything. I hope you recover quickly.

Comment

pneumonia is usually a secondary illness......

Comment

I took a day off sick last week; first in three years. I'd struggle through virtually everything, but throwing up on your keyboard doesn't make a good impression.

You're a contractor: they can "fire" you because there's a "y" in the day.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Hi,

Are you working outside IR35?

If so, this is where your substitution clause comes in.

You have got a substitute haven't you?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            You're a contractor: they can "fire" you because there's a "y" in the day.
            True.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
              Are you working outside IR35?

If so, this is where your substitution clause comes in.

You have got a substitute haven't you?
              Yes, I have someone just waiting around in case I am ill, who is as skilled as I am.

Comment

Yes, I have someone just waiting around in case I am ill, who is as skilled as I am.

If you're well enough to type, you're well enough to work.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  If you're well enough to type, you're well enough to work.
                  I've been at work while coughing my lungs out, this lead to my condition getting worse, doctor basically told me not to go to work If I want to recover.

Comment

What's the issue then? Get them on site, if it's in your contract (as it should be) the client can't moan.

Comment

Working...
                    X