PDA

View Full Version : Survivors

NickFitz
24th November 2008, 02:06
How does it compare to Terry Nation's original (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors) from 1975?

Poll is up there...

Stan.goodvibes
24th November 2008, 02:20
How does it compare to Terry Nation's original (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors) from 1975?

Poll is up there...

Can you put another poll option in there...

'haven't seen the remake but the original was really cool. For the 70's'

Ta.

NickFitz
24th November 2008, 02:28

Ta.

No can do - vBulletin, it seems, doesn't allow editing of polls :o

Feel free not to vote if none of the options apply - and +1 agreement on the original :)

NotAllThere
24th November 2008, 07:10
I gave up at 10pm. By then I still didn't care what happened to any of the survivors, and it was too sloooooooooooooooooooooow.

Too much "drama" not enough story.

The prison officer should have let go any prisoners who were not likely to be harmful to society, and executed the rest. That's what Pournelle/Niven would do. ( WWPND? ).

basshead
24th November 2008, 09:36
Less flu and more zombies would have made it much better.

NotAllThere
24th November 2008, 09:40
That's exactly what I thought when she was up at the activity centre and that bloke appeared in the doorway.

Peoplesoft bloke
24th November 2008, 09:40
Haven't seen the new one but would like to be considered for anorak status for remembering the title sequence having a glass vessel smashing and the survivors use of national grid lines for landline phone comms which is maybe where the grid got the idea.

moorfield
24th November 2008, 09:42
I think it had the woman from Bonekickers in it, didn't it?

That tells us all we need to know!

ratewhore
24th November 2008, 12:01
Dull. Although the Dr would get it, even with her large mole under her nose...

NickFitz
24th November 2008, 12:26
Dull. Although the Dr would get it, even with her large mole under her nose...

:spel the Lesbian doctor

ratewhore
24th November 2008, 12:28
the Lesbian doctor

series link it is then...

:D

TimberWolf
24th November 2008, 15:21
The actors act as if they are acting and the dialogue sounds as if it's being read from a script. To summarise, they just like a bunch of actors reading stuff from a script, much like an EastEnders episode. And for that reason I'm out.

NickFitz
24th November 2008, 15:23
The actors act as if they are acting and the dialogue sounds as if it's being read from a script. To summarise, they just like a bunch of actors reading stuff from a script, much like an EastEnders episode. And for that reason I'm out.

That's pretty much the nature of drama :rolleyes:

Sausage Surprise
24th November 2008, 15:41
Yet the BBC (after wiping out 99.9% of the population) still manage to group together 6 people....that include two muslims, one black guy and a lesbian. What were the chances of that eh :laugh

Oh and the smelly welsh paraffin who drove the Rolls in the original series is now played by Max Beesley but not in the style of a smelly welsh paraffin obviously.

Bob Dalek
24th November 2008, 15:46
The original: did it have someone in bandages reaching for a test tube in the opening credits? I was too young and delicate to see it back then.

NickFitz
24th November 2008, 15:52
The original: did it have someone in bandages reaching for a test tube in the opening credits? I was too young and delicate to see it back then.

A scientist in a face mask (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HPKk204nOTk) :)

Sausage Surprise
24th November 2008, 15:52

Don't know about the bandages but a flask was dropped and smashed in the opening credits suggesting that the virus was man made. No other mention was made of this in the series because how would anyone know..

Now this new series had some shifty laboratory people at the end which is a big shift from the original.

Bob Dalek
24th November 2008, 15:54
A scientist in a face mask (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HPKk204nOTk) :)

Cheers! Is the scientist Chinese?

ookook
24th November 2008, 16:55
Also given that the whole of the UK is deserted there were a number of rather unlikely coincidences, like the near car crash, the girl finding that bloke lying on the embankement - yadda yadda etc etc - poorly written rubbish

MrsGoof
24th November 2008, 17:23
and why when you have the choice of all your neighbours cars , or any just around would you drive a beaten up old Volvo estate

MrMark
24th November 2008, 18:31
Yet the BBC (after wiping out 99.9% of the population) still manage to group together 6 people....that include two muslims, one black guy and a lesbian. What were the chances of that eh :laugh

Oh and the smelly welsh paraffin who drove the Rolls in the original series is now played by Max Beesley but not in the style of a smelly welsh paraffin obviously.

Plenty of places in London (where a lot of scenes took place) where you'd find a mix like this.

I'm actually not too bothered about positive images of certain sectors of our population, and can see how it benefits society. I certainly wouldn't want to swap my life chances with those who have to survive certain inner-city estates. What does annoy me though, is that they have one white adult male in the group, and guess who they've chosen to be the scum? He could have been any of the 1000s you see every day who work and pay their taxes and contribute to society - bus drivers, accountants, publicans, IT workers, doctors, council workers, policemen etc etc. But no, the pyschopathic mass murderer has to be a white male doesn't he?

As for the programme moving slowly, I thought it sped up in the last half hour, and became somewhat gripping. I'll be watching further, I suspect.

ctdctd
24th November 2008, 19:17
As for the programme moving slowly, I thought it sped up in the last half hour, and became somewhat gripping. I'll be watching further, I suspect.

WHS

PAH
24th November 2008, 20:41
I liked how everyone knew it was a flu type virus, yet still decided to go where lots of sick people are. Too dumb to live comes to mind.

It may have been better if they'd done it a few years ago. Since 28 days later there's been a deluge of films and TV stuff covering this topic. Rather bored of it all now.

There's even a Big Brother version (Dead Set), with Davina ffs!

Maybe the authorities are softening us up, knowing it's inevitable something like bird flu is going to cross over to humans and start knocking off lots of people sometime soon. More humane than a big war, so may be for the best, as a way of controlling the human-virus population. Where's my chemistry set....

NickFitz
24th November 2008, 20:56
It may have been better if they'd done it a few years ago.

Thirty-three years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors) enough?

PAH
24th November 2008, 21:12
Thirty-three years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors) enough?

The original must have been tripe, never seen it repeated anywhere at all. Only the truly dire stuff never gets a repeat.

They've still missed the wave with this remake, and are about to be drowned under it.

Board Game Geek
25th November 2008, 02:30
Arrrgh....

I was wondering about this show, and genuinely wanted to get a feel for the poll results to make a balanced decision.

However, with the stupid fething "AndyW" option, skewing the results, the poll is pointless.

I really, really hate this AndyW option in polls. :mad

It's not big and it's not clever, and it certaintly isn't funny.

It's also not informative either.

NickFitz
25th November 2008, 03:54
Arrrgh....

I was wondering about this show, and genuinely wanted to get a feel for the poll results to make a balanced decision.

However, with the stupid fething "AndyW" option, skewing the results, the poll is pointless.

If you treat the Andyw (lowercase "w" BTW) as the "I have no opinion either way" option, then you can look at the remaining results, and factor in the number of people who can't be bothered to express a meaningful opinion.

Of course, as it's a multiple choice poll, it might make more sense to disregard the Andyw votes altogether, or to give them a much lower weighting, as many might have expressed an opinion or three and then thrown Andyw into the mix :freaky:

Whichever form of statistical analysis you apply to the raw results, you should be able to work something out from them - that's why I supplied so many options in the first place :)

I'd say that it's worth watching if you only saw it first time round in 1975 (or on the repeats on UK Gold), just for comparison's sake. If you never saw the original by either of those means, it's still worth watching to get an idea of what it's all about.

I'll be watching the Tuesday night episode, and forming my final opinion on the basis of how well that takes the story forward. I do think that they could have trimmed the 90 minutes down to an hour if they had better script editing (it was possible in the Seventies, so why not now?), but as that was just for the first episode I'll cut them some slack.

Apparently Andyw turns up as a warlord having dominion over the Somerset Levels in episode three... :freaky:

BrilloPad
25th November 2008, 07:08
Arrrgh....

I videoed it and watched it last night - I thought it was very good - as good as the original.

Why do you care what anyone else on cuk thinks? :confused: personally I have my own view - if everyone else hates it then tough.

Did you also hate it when the mods gave themselves 100 votes in a poll?

Why not just remove the andyw part and calculate the percentages yourself? If maths is not your strong point I am happy to do it for you.

Lockhouse
25th November 2008, 07:43

Ta.

The first original series was good as was the second. When the main character quit it wasn't as good (IIRC) and it lost it's way. Even I was still a youngster then though.

Bob Dalek
25th November 2008, 09:16
According to the cast of the original series, it went downhill after the producer thought he knew better than Terry Nation... who then left... the 2nd & 3rd series weren't as good as the 1st.

Same happened to Space 1999. New director wanted it to be an action-packed Americanized lash-up. Cue Barry Morse waving goodbye; Martin Landau getting very disillusioned about character development; other cast members likewise wondering how the f--k they were expected to take the series forward, etc.

NotAllThere
25th November 2008, 09:33
... a flask was dropped and smashed in the opening credits suggesting that the virus was man made. ...

If only the lab had had some sensible precautions, like lower-pressure than the outside world...

TimberWolf
25th November 2008, 09:59
My attention wasn't fully on it when I watched this carp dramatised version of Eastenders, but I had the impression the lab leak was deliberate.

Sausage Surprise
25th November 2008, 10:12
The original must have been tripe, never seen it repeated anywhere at all. Only the truly dire stuff never gets a repeat.

They've still missed the wave with this remake, and are about to be drowned under it.

It was repeated on UK Gold and it was far from tripe. Maybe you could try watching it before giving an opinion. Just a thought like..:rolleyes:

NickFitz
25th November 2008, 13:39
My attention wasn't fully on it when I watched this carp dramatised version of Eastenders, but I had the impression the lab leak was deliberate.

They're referring to the lab leak in the title sequence of the 1975 original... there's a link to it on YouTube further back in the thread.

PAH
25th November 2008, 19:40
It was repeated on UK Gold and it was far from tripe. Maybe you could try watching it before giving an opinion. Just a thought like..:rolleyes:

My opinion is based on the fact I've not been able to watch it without going a long way out of my way. UK Gold isn't even on my EPG.

If it was any good it would have been repeated umpteen times on different channels over the years, so I would have stumbled upon it at some point.

My logic is faultless so don't even try arguing.

Peoplesoft bloke
25th November 2008, 21:09
Watching it now - not outstanding but will give it a chance.

Stan.goodvibes
26th November 2008, 03:55
I was just a nipper when it was on telly in NZ. I remember the opening sequence where some woman collapses onto the pavement in slow motion (I think).

My only recollection of the show was that it was in the country a lot because back in the day they couldn't do that cool empty city thing like '28 Days Later' and 'I Am Legend' (aka I Am Pants).

Now if any cult UK tv show deserves a remake, its UFO. I used to love that show and dreamed of working for SHADO when I was older. Best UK tv show from the 70s IMHO.

Bob Dalek
26th November 2008, 09:14
Anyone remember Catch Kandy? Australian, I think. Strange but memorable theme tune/song.

Moscow Mule
30th November 2008, 00:48
Just watched the first two episodes whilst compiling what seems like several thousand objects.

It may be the nice bottle of white I've consumed but it seemed an ok series. Not worth staying in for, but may well record it to watch on the way to work.

The doc (or porter, can't remember) from Casualty had the right idea in the first place - get loads of camping shit from Blacks, and head to the hills. In a situation like that, people = trouble.

Diver
30th November 2008, 08:42
Where's the "I'm too busy to watch TV" option?

Diver
30th November 2008, 08:49
> > THE NEXT SURVIVOR SERIES
> >
> > Six married men will be dropped on an island with one car and
> > 3 kids each for six weeks.
> >
> > Each kid will play
> > two sports
> > and either take music
> > or dance classes.
> >
> > There is no fast food.
> >
> > Each man must
> > take care of his 3 kids;
> > keep his assigned house clean,
> > correct all homework,
> > and complete science projects,
> > cook, do laundry,
> > and pay a list of 'pretend' bills
> > with not enough money.
> >
> > In addition, each man
> > will have to budget in money
> > for groceries each week.
> >
> > Each man
> > must remember the birthdays
> > of all their friends and relatives,
> > and send cards out
> > on time--no emailing.
> >
> > Each man must also
> > take each child to a doctor's appointment,
> > a dentist appointment
> > and a haircut appointment.
> >
> > He must make
> > one unscheduled and inconvenient
> > visit per child
> > to the A & E.
> >
> > He must also
> > make biscuits or cakes
> > for a social function.
> >
> > Each man will be responsible for
> > decorating his own assigned house,
> > planting flowers outside
> > and keeping it presentable
> > at all times.
> >
> > The men will only
> > have access to television
> > when the kids are asleep
> > and all chores are done.
> >
> > The men must
> > shave their legs,
> > wear makeup daily,
> > adorn himself with jewellery,
> > wear uncomfortable yet stylish shoes,
> > keep fingernails polished
> > and eyebrows groomed.
> >
> > During one of the six weeks,
> > the men will have to endure severe abdominal cramps, back aches,
> > and have extreme, unexplained mood swings but never once complain or
> > slow down from other duties.
> >
> > They must attend
> > weekly school meetings,
> > church, and find time
> > at least once to spend the afternoon
> > at the park or a similar setting.
> >
> > They will need to
> > read a book to the kids
> > each night and in the morning,
> > feed them, dress them,
> > brush their teeth and
> > comb their hair by 8:00 am.
> >
> > A test will be given at the end of the six weeks, and each father will be required to know all of the following information:
> > each child's birthday,
> > height, weight,
> > shoe size, clothes size
> > and doctor's name.
> > Also the child's weight at birth,
> > length, time of birth,
> > and length of labour,
> > each child's favourite colour,
> > middle name,
> > favourite snack,
> > favourite song,
> > favourite drink,
> > favourite toy,
> > biggest fear and
> > what they want to be when they grow up.
> >
> > The kids vote them off the island
> > based on performance.
> > The last man wins only if...
> > he still has enough energy
> > to be intimate with his spouse
> > at a moment's notice.
> >
> > If the last man does win,
> > he can play the game over and over
> > and over again for the next 18-25 years
> > eventually earning the right
> > To be called Mum!

PAH
30th November 2008, 12:06
Where's the "I'm too busy to watch TV" option?

Next to the "I'm too busy to post on CUK" option. i.e. You can't see it because you're not too busy.

dang65
30th November 2008, 12:51
First episode was full of the usual cliches, but second episode was very good I thought. I never watched the original because we didn't bother with TV in our house when I was a kid. Those "I love the 70s" type of programmes go straight over my head.

There do seem to be an awful lot of survivors though, don't there? It's not like I Am Legend or 28 Days Later where you feel there's only a handful of people left anywhere. Survivors seems a bit crowded to me. But I suppose it makes for more confrontation and that, and they don't have any zombies or virus nutters to deal with. Yet.

NickFitz
30th November 2008, 19:26
There do seem to be an awful lot of survivors though, don't there? It's not like I Am Legend or 28 Days Later where you feel there's only a handful of people left anywhere. Survivors seems a bit crowded to me. But I suppose it makes for more confrontation and that, and they don't have any zombies or virus nutters to deal with. Yet.

Well, using figures from the CIA World Factbook (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html):

Estimated population of UK, July 2008: 60,943,912
Assuming 0.1% survival rate, population after epidemic: ~60,944
Land area of UK (including Shetland Islands and Rockall): 241,590 sq km
Land area in English: ~93 278 square miles

giving

Surviving people per square mile: 0.65

Number of survivors encountered so far is about 20 - let's be generous and say 30, although I think 20 is nearer the mark - meaning the programme would have to be set in an area of ~46 square miles.

An area 7 miles by 7 miles square covers 49 square miles.

So, assuming population density is more evenly distributed after the epidemic due to people leaving urban areas, we might reasonably expect to encounter 30 people in an area 7 miles square.

Given that we haven't yet seen as many as 30 people, and those we see appear to ranging over a much wider area than 7 miles square, if anything there seem to be many fewer survivors than one might expect after an epidemic with a 0.1% survival rate.

Of course, they never state what the survival rate is (there is a reference by a civil servant to 10% in the first episode, but then it becomes apparent that the situation is considerably worse than that before everything finally falls apart) but I would suggest a survival rate around 0.02% could reasonably account for the number of people seen so far, and expected to be seen in forthcoming episodes. That would have them set in an area about 21 miles square, but only ever coming into contact with half of the survivors in that area (which seems a reasonable supposition for the period of time the series covers).

A survival rate of 0.02% gives a total UK population after the epidemic of ~12,200, which seems suitably apocalyptic.

DiscoStu
30th November 2008, 19:32
Well, using figures from the CIA World Factbook (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html):

giving

Number of survivors encountered so far is about 20 - let's be generous and say 30, although I think 20 is nearer the mark - meaning the programme would have to be set in an area of ~46 square miles.

So, assuming population density is more evenly distributed after the epidemic due to people leaving urban areas, we might reasonably expect to encounter 30 people in an area 7 miles square.

Given that we haven't yet seen as many as 30 people, and those we see appear to ranging over a much wider area than 7 miles square, if anything there seem to be many fewer survivors than one might expect after an epidemic with a 0.1% survival rate.

Of course, they never state what the survival rate is (there is a reference by a civil servant to 10% in the first episode, but then it becomes apparent that the situation is considerably worse than that before everything finally falls apart) but I would suggest a survival rate around 0.02% could reasonably account for the number of people seen so far, and expected to be seen in forthcoming episodes. That would have them set in an area about 21 miles square, but only ever coming into contact with half of the survivors in that area (which seems a reasonable supposition for the period of time the series covers).

A survival rate of 0.02% gives a total UK population after the epidemic of ~12,200, which seems suitably apocalyptic.

If ever a post was worthy of Xeno geek points this is it :yay:

BrilloPad
30th November 2008, 20:20

giving

I want a virus that leaves just me and the female population of the country......

PAH
30th November 2008, 21:22
I want a virus that leaves just me and the female population of the country......

Nah, you'd soon get bored of fish suppers.

The only thing that keeps men sane is other men, or XBox.

BrilloPad
24th December 2008, 22:37
I just saw the final episode (recorded from last night). I reckon there will be another series.....

bellymonster
25th December 2008, 16:13
As with all these types of drama, the first sseries is usually very good, but by the second and third the story gets a bit too drawn out.

By the 4th and 5th series most of the original cast will have been replaced and before you know it you've got the next 'Heartbeat' on your hands.

BrilloPad
25th December 2008, 17:25
As with all these types of drama, the first sseries is usually very good, but by the second and third the story gets a bit too drawn out.

By the 4th and 5th series most of the original cast will have been replaced and before you know it you've got the next 'Heartbeat' on your hands.

Friend of mine is in heartbeat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Benson_(actor)

NickFitz
25th December 2008, 19:46

This was the mistake the Beeb made with Survivors in the Seventies, and was the reason Terry Nation pulled out after the first series. It will be interesting to see if they make the same mistake this time.

BrilloPad
25th December 2008, 20:22
This was the mistake the Beeb made with Survivors in the Seventies, and was the reason Terry Nation pulled out after the first series. It will be interesting to see if they make the same mistake this time.

But the first series (recent) did not end cleanly : which I find very annoying. But clear there is a storyline already in for series 2 so might be better?