• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agency trick?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agency trick?

Agency putting me forward for a role, they want to meet me for a face to face in their offices first to vet me before seeing the client - i have done this before so its not an issue, however this one asked for 2 references when i come to their offices and says.....

I understand your referees concern but I can assure you that we do not call up people without your consent until you are placed in a roll, and it is an issue of compliance which is above my head. We always take them to allow us to move as fast as possible when a role comes up, if this is still an issue them I am afraid we wont be able to go ahead with the interview.
    i know the tricks on the phone to try to get referees names etc but this would be a complete waste of my time to go there and speak to them and then find out no role exists and its just a fishing exercise....thoughts? would you bother going?

Use a 'friend' (ie a contractor you have worked with who knows your skills) as one of the referees.

That way if they do try it on then you can call them back and complain about them hassling one of your referees.

Comment

good thinking, but am i wasting my time? I just cant see them requesting referees at such an early stage for "compliance reasons" ?? whats that all about

Comment

it's when they ask you to wear a baseball cap and confirm you can say "would you like fries with that?" you need to worry..
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
          until you are placed in a roll
          They want to make a sandwich out of you.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
            They want to make a sandwich out of you.
            I think you're making a meal out of that typo.

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
              I think you're making a meal out of that typo.
              Food for thought, though.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Ask them what they're complying with? Personally, I would turn down the interview if it was dependent on taking referees details with me. But then, if your backs against the wall, just make them up and go anyway :-)

Incidentally, I've never had my references checked.
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I would check your previous terms of contract, last few contracts I've
                  done at Investment banks do not allow you to give out names of
                  managers or employees you worked with,
                  so I've always given the name of somebody in HR or agency
                  who can confirm i worked there.

Comment

i've just said that i'll come along with 2 client references with a contact name in the HR department who will provide the reference, for client confidentiality.

Lets see how that one goes down!

Comment

Working...
                    X