• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New technology to stop snipers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New technology to stop snipers

No, atw, not something to use on eBay but something far more important.

Sounds pretty impressive but would be interested to see how accurate it is.

Linky.

Thats a nifty piece of kit aint it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      No, atw, not something to use on eBay but something far more important.

Sounds pretty impressive but would be interested to see how accurate it is.

Linky.
      not much use against real snipers, as opposed to someone taking a pot shot.
      Someone sniping from 600m would be on his toes ages before the sound hit the target. And thats assuming the sound ever did reach the target.

The British army in NI had a device that picked up the crack of the sound barrier being broken as the bullet whizzed by, but that was much cruder and only gives a rough approximation. Much different than listening for the sound of the rifle itself.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I always thought that the little red dots that gave the enemy position away when they fired on CoD4 were a little unrealistic... not any more.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

""It is all about saving guys' lives," said Don Steinman, "

I thought it was about killing snipers.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I thought carpet bombing dealt with the sniper threat. Or is that just an Israeli strategy?
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

It could, of course, make them even more of a target as the bad guys seek to acquire one of the little gizmos for themselves (now that we've told them all about it).
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

I wonder ... when at a certain university, doing Engineering (snore), for my final year assignment I developed an acoustic-based system that pinpointed imperfections in metal, whilst it was being drilled/milled/turned/etc.

The bloody MOD have nabbed my idea! I want my compo!

Comment

It came from a warehouse / grassy knoll.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    not much use against real snipers, as opposed to someone taking a pot shot.
                    Someone sniping from 600m would be on his toes ages before the sound hit the target. And thats assuming the sound ever did reach the target.

The British army in NI had a device that picked up the crack of the sound barrier being broken as the bullet whizzed by, but that was much cruder and only gives a rough approximation. Much different than listening for the sound of the rifle itself.

In WW1 they'd pop a wax head over the parapet, and when a German sniper put a bullet through it they could tell by the track where he was.

Then they'd return fire using special rounds which had been turned back to front, so when the flat end hit the steel plate shielding the sniper, a shock wave would blast off or "spall" a fragment the other side and generally kill him. Worked a treat apparently.

I've also heard that DARPA are developing, or have done, bullets containing tiny microchips and small tail fins that steer them during flight, within ballistic limits presumably, to lock onto and hit a target several miles away.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X